Question on keeping female Mandarin Dragonet

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if two female Mandarin Dragonet will tolerate each other in a 320 gal tank?
I have one pair in mine, doing really well and spawn regularly. The female Dragonet is a "Red" Mandarin Dragonet, Synchiropus cf. splendidus, while the male is the normal Green Dragonet, Synchiropus splendidus. IMO, the normal green and blue S. splendidus looks better, and I like to replace my female Red Mandarin Dragonet with a green and blue female Mandarin. I cannot catch the resident female out. I wonder if anybody have one or several female togehter, indicating that female can tolerate each other. If this is the case I don't have to worry about catching the current female out, but just adding another one. I prefer not to have mandarin fighting if at all possible.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if two female Mandarin Dragonet will tolerate each other in a 320 gal tank?
I have one pair in mine, doing really well and spawn regularly. The female Dragonet is a "Red" Mandarin Dragonet, Synchiropus cf. splendidus, while the male is the normal Green Dragonet, Synchiropus splendidus. IMO, the normal green and blue S. splendidus looks better, and I like to replace my female Red Mandarin Dragonet with a green and blue female Mandarin. I cannot catch the resident female out. I wonder if anybody have one or several female togehter, indicating that female can tolerate each other. If this is the case I don't have to worry about catching the current female out, but just adding another one. I prefer not to have mandarin fighting if at all possible.
Every fish and situation is different, but my LFS has multiples in their large frag tank. They do not sell fish from that frag tank (tried). Based on this, you may be okay.

*IF* you had to get the mandarin out, BRS has icecap small fish traps. I have medium & large sizes, but small is all a mandarin would need. Peeling the paper off to assemble is a pain, but glass of wine helps... and I have TWO so its doable <wink> knew what I was in for when I got the other size.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish and situation is different, but my LFS has multiples in their large frag tank. They do not sell fish from that frag tank (tried). Based on this, you may be okay.

*IF* you had to get the mandarin out, BRS has icecap small fish traps. I have medium & large sizes, but small is all a mandarin would need. Peeling the paper off to assemble is a pain, but glass of wine helps... and I have TWO so its doable <wink> knew what I was in for when I got the other size.
That is good to know. I think multiple females can coexist then. Do you know if they have more than one male Green Mandarin? My experiences in the past indicated that this is not possible even in a 420 gal tank.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to know. I think multiple females can coexist then. Do you know if they have more than one male Green Mandarin? My experiences in the past indicated that this is not possible even in a 420 gal tank.
I'm not even sure there is 1 male green mandarin in their tank. They have multiple females. Also multiple female red rubies in that same large low frag tank.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mail the Mandarin is likely not worth it. The mailing cost is much more expensive than the cost of the fish.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back