Question on lighting prior to upgrade

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 3 of the viparspectra 165w lights over my ~120 gallon (72"x18.5"x19") mixed tank. I have the lights currently running at about 60% blue, 20% white, 10% red, but have not been successful in keeping a monti cap, but growing plenty of zoas and corraline . I've also tried twice to keep a bta, but both times they shrank and disappeared. I know there are lot of variables to this, water parameters, etc, not just the lighting. My vipar lights are mounted to the inside of hood, about 8-10" above the water, but no par meter yet to see what levels I'm getting.

So, I'm looking at removing the hood, which I don't really like, and replacing my existing lights with either 2 x reefbreeder 32" v2 pro photons on the included mounting legs (and using the linking rails between them - no way to hang from ceiling), or two orphek icon atlantik lights (but I don't see leg mounts for these, just the arms, and I'm worried about hanging that much weight off of the back glass of the tank, and my tank has the black plastic trim, so not sure if the included mounts would work). Anyone know of leg type mounts that work with the orpheks?

I also am thinking of getting apex controller and the apex module for the reefbreeder lights and control them through the apex, and the par meter for the apex.

You can see other pictures from earlier in my build thread, but here is just a few days ago:
tank-current.png

One of my attempts at keeping a BTA, it survived about 1 month, then got smaller and smaller, and I never saw it again:

anemone.jpg

And about 1 year ago for comparison:

tank-1yrago.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back