Question on possible Stand build... Can you help?

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out if I need to swap out my stand or not and I need some advice from you good folks...

I have a Tenecor stand built for a 48"x24"x20" tank. If anyone is familiar with the design for Acrylic tanks, the weight is distributed across the entire base and thus the build is pretty much a platform. It's built from very solid oak wood and has held my 100g tank without any issue whatsoever...

So, I just bought a Eurobraced 4'x2'x2' Glass Cages tank. From all of the stands that I've seen built here it looks like they are designed to distribute the weight from the corners.

So, my question is... Do I need to swap out my stand? or Is an Acrylic stand 'By Design' better for supporting a glass tank or worse?

J&O'sdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have seen people with the euro braced tanks putting foam under their tanks. If that is the case you should be able to keep that stand.

OP
OP
cherokee_dude

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... Just foam? I can do that. So, why don't more people build stands like this? No loss under the stand from 2x4's and max space usage... Has anyone ever used a stand built for acrylic with a glass tank? It's got to add another ~300 pds to the weight the stand needs to carry, plus the weight is distributed very differently.

I'm no engineer, but I would really like to know 'Why' using this stand would work.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I follow you but the only thing you need to factor in is if the GC tank has any trim around the bottom. If it has the plastic trim you shouldn't use the foam. Do you have pics of the tank and stand?

Alky

Longboard on tap!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Glass Cages about the use of the foam. Your existing stand will work fine, as long as the top is flat and level.
I was told directly by LeeMar not to use foam under my glass LeeMar built tank.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of glass tanks sitting on counter tops, so the "platform" effect of your stand shouldn't be an issue. As stated, I would call glass cages about the stand, because putting the tank on a non-glass cages stand or putting foam under it may void your warrenty (don't know if you care or not - personally I never worry about it). Without seeing the stand, can't comment on the weight issues.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from the GC site from their warranty:

"
SET UP INSTRUCTIONS
All aquariums must be set up on commercially manufactured stands only. A sheet of 3/4" Styrofoam (reaching completely side-to-side and front-to-back) must be placed between the tank and the surface of the stand. Aquariums should not be set on wood furniture, stereos, televisions, or other surfaces that have not been designed to support an aquarium. Setting up the aquarium on a homemade stand or on a surface such as the ones mentioned above can result in stress breakage of the side or bottom glass panels of the aquarium."

OP
OP
cherokee_dude

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I bought the tank used so warranty is not an issue.
GC says that the black trim is for aesthetics only... Sounds like I shouldn't be concerned at all, but here are some pics to be sure...

Here is the Outside Left side
2zoaydi.jpg

Front Left
5wcq61.jpg

Inside Left
iwly6b.jpg

Inside Right
2j8axj.jpg

Full Inside Shot
2e3n52c.jpg

Full Stand Shot {The front middle board does NOT bear any weight and is easily removed}
116n8mf.jpg

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see, it appears the whole tank is sitting on top of a 3/4" plywood support, with those 3/4" plywood pieces running clear to the floor? If so, provided that the ends are properly tied in, you should have no issues.

Bio-nut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the stand would be fine but I would do the foam inset between the glass bottom and the ply wood so that the bottom of the tank is supported when the rock is stacked in there. Reduces point source pressure on the bottom sheet of glass!

OP
OP
cherokee_dude

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again Scopus!

Bio-nut, that makes a ton of sense, thanks! What kind of foam? Are there better kinds or just the regular pink foam stuff at HD or Lowes?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back