Question on regal angelfish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jen2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up an adorable CB juvenile regal angel from Biota. Super happy with him but was curious on a color question. He doesn’t have an eyespot like most juveniles I’ve seen. Will he eventually develop the blue eyespot as he matures?

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the juvenile has the spot and loses it as he approaches 6-7 cm. I think I need to eat a hershey milk chocolate bar and wait for further input! Ha Ha!

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the juvenile has the spot and loses it as he approaches 6-7 cm. I think I need to eat a hershey milk chocolate bar and wait for further input! Ha Ha!
Pretty sure adults have that nice big batch of blue as well. But @Biota_Marine would know better

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Regal Angelfish are at various stages of transitioning from their juvenile to adult coloration, and they also each have a unique pattern. It's normal/expected for that juvenile eyespot to fade and become a larger blue area near the back of the dorsal fin over time. I included a photo (From Google) of a juvenile and an adult Regal angelfish for comparison. Since these are captive bred Regal Angelfish, no one can accurately predict what their adult pattern will look like, but each one is unique and beautiful.

Screenshot 2022-06-22 100228.png

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tiny, maybe about an inch. I just got this little one today, hard to get a good picture as it stays at the back of the QT.

You have a pretty fish there. A gem for sure. I also have a shipment due today - out for delivery now actually. No Regal though - although I wish. Must be a BIOTA day :D

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Regal Angelfish are at various stages of transitioning from their juvenile to adult coloration, and they also each have a unique pattern. It's normal/expected for that juvenile eyespot to fade and become a larger blue area near the back of the dorsal fin over time. I included a photo (From Google) of a juvenile and an adult Regal angelfish for comparison. Since these are captive bred Regal Angelfish, no one can accurately predict what their adult pattern will look like, but each one is unique and beautiful.

Screenshot 2022-06-22 100228.png
Hey there…getting ready to pull the trigger on one of your angels and had two questions…

1.) Do I need to quarantine these? That is to say, are your fish “pre-quarantined”? I bought a yellow tang from you guys (which is growing up beautifully btw) and I did not qt her, although I was newer to the hobby at the time.

2.) about how long does it take before the regal begins to get their blue coloring? Mine would be going into a 48x20x20 75 gallon display, and will likely be going into the much bigger tank I will undoubtedly have by the time it’s ready to have a bigger home, but wondering about the coloration development time.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there…getting ready to pull the trigger on one of your angels and had two questions…

1.) Do I need to quarantine these? That is to say, are your fish “pre-quarantined”? I bought a yellow tang from you guys (which is growing up beautifully btw) and I did not qt her, although I was newer to the hobby at the time.

I provided the information below that they have on their portal. They do have strict rules on biosecurity but the onus is on the hobbyist to do what is best for them and the animal to include their comfort level. I personally only buy Biota fish direct from them and do not put any of their fish through harsh or more stringent QT protocols. In my opinion, and limited experience keeping captive bred, raised fish, the chemicals are not kind to them and it elevates the risk of a loss.

Having said that I do isolate and observe be it using my refugium, bucket, or small tank. The fish arrive small and this is a great opportunity to see what prepared foods are their favorite. I'll rotate through variety of pellet and frozen, take notes, and now I know what they like. I always start with what Biota lists on their portal as it relates to food. If it isn't there then I send them a message off their portal for recommendations and go buy it. Frozen is always LRS nano, reef, fish, and PE calanus.

I do not speak for Biota I'm just sharing what I do and what works for me. I have done this with the following fish from Biota:

Gold lined rabbit, Links goby, upside down goby, 4 pink square anthias, lyretail damsel, matted filefish, radial filefish, and most recently the rare milletseed butterflyfish.

Only other thing I'd note is that again in my opinion feed frequently. I feed hourly dry/pellet and twice a day frozen. Small portions but I feel a growing fish is like a growing child and needs food / nutrition.

1699110794758.png

2.) about how long does it take before the regal begins to get their blue coloring? Mine would be going into a 48x20x20 75 gallon display, and will likely be going into the much bigger tank I will undoubtedly have by the time it’s ready to have a bigger home, but wondering about the coloration development time.

I can't speak to this fish but I will say that of all the fish I listed above they seem to grow at a decent rate. Hard to say exactly but they seem to grow pretty fast if well fed. None of the fish I have listed above are fully size yet but the rabbit and anthias are borderline. Both are forcing me to plan an upgrade...

Beautiful fish btw.

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I provided the information below that they have on their portal. They do have strict rules on biosecurity but the onus is on the hobbyist to do what is best for them and the animal to include their comfort level. I personally only buy Biota fish direct from them and do not put any of their fish through harsh or more stringent QT protocols. In my opinion, and limited experience keeping captive bred, raised fish, the chemicals are not kind to them and it elevates the risk of a loss.

Having said that I do isolate and observe be it using my refugium, bucket, or small tank. The fish arrive small and this is a great opportunity to see what prepared foods are their favorite. I'll rotate through variety of pellet and frozen, take notes, and now I know what they like. I always start with what Biota lists on their portal as it relates to food. If it isn't there then I send them a message off their portal for recommendations and go buy it. Frozen is always LRS nano, reef, fish, and PE calanus.

I do not speak for Biota I'm just sharing what I do and what works for me. I have done this with the following fish from Biota:

Gold lined rabbit, Links goby, upside down goby, 4 pink square anthias, lyretail damsel, matted filefish, radial filefish, and most recently the rare milletseed butterflyfish.

Only other thing I'd note is that again in my opinion feed frequently. I feed hourly dry/pellet and twice a day frozen. Small portions but I feel a growing fish is like a growing child and needs food / nutrition.

1699110794758.png

I can't speak to this fish but I will say that of all the fish I listed above they seem to grow at a decent rate. Hard to say exactly but they seem to grow pretty fast if well fed. None of the fish I have listed above are fully size yet but the rabbit and anthias are borderline. Both are forcing me to plan an upgrade...

Beautiful fish btw.
Thank you so much for your thorough and informative response my friend! Your experience is much appreciated!

So much like my thriving yellow tang, I ordered this regal last night directly from biota. It seems to me that there is little to no point of buying a biota fish if it’s already sat in the contaminated waters if a LFS simply touting the Biota name.

Really appreciate the portal info on qt. I have a 10 gallon cube that I can qt and observe in. The little guy is arriving on 11/7 and I am going out of town in 11/11 for 5 days, but my fiancée knows the drill. I think I’ll give him until I get back on 11/16 in the cube and then assess for integration into my DT. No copper or prazi. You like that plan? Obviously it is up to each reefer what they do with their tank but I’ve only been back in the hobby for about 11 months so I do rely on the knowledge and experience you guys all have and are generous in sharing.

Thanks again!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your thorough and informative response my friend! Your experience is much appreciated!

So much like my thriving yellow tang, I ordered this regal last night directly from biota. It seems to me that there is little to no point of buying a biota fish if it’s already sat in the contaminated waters if a LFS simply touting the Biota name.

Really appreciate the portal info on qt. I have a 10 gallon cube that I can qt and observe in. The little guy is arriving on 11/7 and I am going out of town in 11/11 for 5 days, but my fiancée knows the drill. I think I’ll give him until I get back on 11/16 in the cube and then assess for integration into my DT. No copper or prazi. You like that plan? Obviously it is up to each reefer what they do with their tank but I’ve only been back in the hobby for about 11 months so I do rely on the knowledge and experience you guys all have and are generous in sharing.

Thanks again!

With regards to medication I can't really speak on it as I do not use those. I apologize. I really only place in isolation as I can take my refugium offline or use a bucket or other small tank if required. I actually prefer the refugium since there are pods and micro algae in there for them to pick at along with lots of rubble and a rock to sleep behind.

Both Felicia and Jake over at Biota are really helpful if you send a message via the portal for any questions. They, like your fellow hobbyist, want both you and the animals to thrive. I have seen a few posts by hobbyist here who have them and they seem to do well.

You will do amazing.

Here is my milletseed a bit after arrival. You can see the size. There is also a small caption of the Lyretail damsel that arrived at the same time/day.

Here are the pink square anthias. Again for size reference. That is a ORA yellow tail assessor checking them out. The anthias are all close to 4" now and full bodied with 1 in a slow transition state to male.

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@areefer01 gorgeous fish! Yeah they’re top notch in my experience with my yellow tang that I was so happy to acquire before they became sold out! He’s colored up beautifully and he is getting ready to make the jump from my 25 gal shallow reef to my bigger reef, just planning on adding them all (current qt and yellow) together, save for the regal who will probably go in first as the baby to get nice and established.

Thanks again, you’re awesome!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back