Question on water changes/top offs with RO/DI

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sully
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sully

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
326
Reaction score
50
Location
Eastern Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some water (post water change) down to the lfs yesterday to be tested. I recently changed out the di filter so he asked me to bring down some ro/di water as well after about 50 or so gallons had run through to make sure everything was good. Well, I disconnected everything before I collected a small amount for him to test. I had already treated the water with aqausafe plus as I always do so I didn't take any of the RO/DI water since I thought the test wouldn't be accurate. When I mentioned this to him, he asked "why are you treating the water?" I shrugged and said, "I always have". He then went on to say stop treating the water as it will mess with the skimmer function. Something about the aquasafe coats the tube of the skimmer making it less effective against what your trying to skim out and it would actually strip trace elements out?

Can anyone else verify or shed some light on this? I guess it was just a habit to treat the water since I had been doing it for so long when I just used tap water. Thanks!
 
You do not need to treat your RO/DI water with anything. The only testing to be done on it would be for TDS. (Total Dissolved Solids) This is to make sure your unit it working as it should. You can buy your own TDS meter for less then $20
As for the validity of Aquasafe coating anything? I don't know. But it doesn't matter since you won't be using it anymore, right?! Lol :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new