OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received my new Mantis shrimp today. I was supposed to be receiving an Odontodactylus Scyllarus, which is a Peacock. BUT, is a very light green and looks much more like Gonodactylaceus falcatus.

I can't get a clear picture now, but does anyone know what color an infant peacock would be? This one is about an inch and smaller than my last one when I first got it.

Jayreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is small. I have only ever seen 2" and bigger and they look very much like a peacock at that size.

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tiny. The aquatic store I got it from says it was a hitchhiker and looks like it may have come in a shipment from the Philippines which would fit the G. Falcatus theory.

I'll get a picture as soon as I can, bit I imagine it will be a while. I'm sure it'll take at least a month or so before it gets comfy and based on what Dr. Roy says in his description of the G. Falcatus, they're not necessarily the best of aquarium mantis shrimp pets, so who knows...

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So good news. Looks like my.little buddy is acclimatizing well to her new surroundings. I managed to grab a pic, hopefully you can see her...

20191107_174750.jpg

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is al older thread. But here goes, been about a month now that I've had this little guy, still hadn't really shown signs of being comfortable at all. This morning I checked in and saw it acting a little strange and it came out and was moving around more than I had ever seen it. Then an hour later this...

So, i know it's moulting. Lights are off. But it's not in it's den and there are a few crabs in the tank. I also have a wave make and its moved further from this location. I know we're not supposed to bother them when moulting, my only concern would be the crabs (2 emerald, 1 if them is larger. 1 pom pom, 1 porcelain and 2 hermit) I don't believe they would attack, but can anyone reassure me?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If hes molting out of his den which is very odd, then id remove the crabs,he will be very exposed until he hardens.

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If hes molting out of his den which is very odd, then id remove the crabs,he will be very exposed until he hardens.
I can try this. Although I don't really have the means to house them. I guess i could try to rig up my breeder cage. I'd have to go poking around in the tank to get them all in there tho.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even an acclimation box of sorts will work.
Im really surprised hes molting in the open....

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even an acclimation box of sorts will work.
Im really surprised hes molting in the open....
Me too. Especially since it hasn't reached the point where it's comfortable to come out at all much.

I guess maybe there is not enough space inside its burrow, which is a small cavity in some coral that it dug a bit out of.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange. Id keep the light dim and hope for the best....ive owned many and never seen one molt outside thier den.

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange. Id keep the light dim and hope for the best....ive owned many and never seen one molt outside thier den.
Well, I'm keeping a close eye. Lights are off and I've ensured they won't turn on tonight.

Have you ever had a G. Falcatus before? That's the species it looks like I have. Maybe that's part of the reason? This species does things a bit different?

I'm just hypothesizing here...

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peacocks and ones that came on lr.
One from fl lr was light green and small like yours...not sure what species he was.
But all that ive owned throughout the years have always hidden and blocked thier den while molting.

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peacocks and ones that came on lr.
One from fl lr was light green and small like yours...not sure what species he was.
But all that ive owned throughout the years have always hidden and blocked thier den while molting.

Ya, I'm just about as sure as you are it seems. Getting the crabs locked up separately will proving hugely challenging with the lights off.

All I can do is hope it gets through the most challenging part before I go to bed. It's been about 5-6 hours so far and it seems like it might just slightly be starting to pop out... I'll try and take a pic

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I'm just about as sure as you are it seems. Getting the crabs locked up separately will proving hugely challenging with the lights off.

All I can do is hope it gets through the most challenging part before I go to bed. It's been about 5-6 hours so far and it seems like it might just slightly be starting to pop out... I'll try and take a pic

***Update***

Since my last post, I've been keeping an eye and have seen no movement.

That's about 3 hours, with not even the swimmerettes moving. Can I tap it lightly with some to see if it moves or would that cause potential problems if it is actually still alive?

Beyond all else, if it is dead, I'd like to get it out of the tank before it stinks it up and pollutes the water

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Update***

She's dead, kept an eye on her. Still no movement. That's 6 plus hours. I touched her gently with a stick and nothing. Tried a few times before pulling out of the tank.

She smelled pretty bad already. Looking up close didn't seem to be a moult problem. But then, who knows.

Lucky for me, there's someone rehoming a purple spot, so I've got a line on a replacement. Third time's a charm I guess.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry....figured something was up with her...make sure to update with pics of the new guy!

Back