View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
House info:

-Split level home, tank will be on top floor
-Tank will be against structural wall
-Probably looking at either a 75, 90 or 120 with 25ish gallon sump

So here is my dilemma…the tank will be running parallel with my beams. There are some supports (seen in picture) running every 3-4 feet. Are any of these tanks going to be pushing it? I’ve read the sticky but man…idk, I’m concerned and need a hard no, or some serious reassurance.

E2BDA9E6-C76E-441A-BC72-8C37388EEA67.jpeg

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think it should be ok. A 2x12 should be able to hold about 2000 lbs. if weight is spread over two then your talking 4000 lbs. 120 gal is approx 1000 lbs give or take.

but if your worried and able to you could ads supports below.

disclaimer- I am no expert. Just a reefer with google- maybe someone with some expertise may chime in.

OP
OP
strawberry_reef

strawberry_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Appreciate the honesty my friend! I am just skeptical cause the house was built in 62, so I am not extremely confident. I feel that it SHOULD be okay...just want some reassurance LOL.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the honesty my friend! I am just skeptical cause the house was built in 62, so I am not extremely confident. I feel that it SHOULD be okay...just want some reassurance LOL.
I hear you lol. I’m the same way. I have three 100 gallon tanks, a 55 gal, a 40gal, and a 30 gal all in the same room on the second floor of a rental. Talk about anxiety

btw my floor is still level and the second floor is still on the second floor

Is the bottom floor a basement where you could add a few extra supports? For peace of mind may be worth it if it’s possible with the location. At lease you may sleep better at night lol

OP
OP
strawberry_reef

strawberry_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear you lol. I’m the same way. I have three 100 gallon tanks, a 55 gal, a 40gal, and a 30 gal all in the same room on the second floor of a rental. Talk about anxiety

btw my floor is still level and the second floor is still on the second floor

Is the bottom floor a basement where you could add a few extra supports? For peace of mind may be worth it if it’s possible with the location. At lease you may sleep better at night lol
Yes, I definitely can add supports but the side its going on is under a drop ceiling so it'll just be a PITA. But I may do it for peace of mind lol. I had a 180 and 300 years and year ago, but it was on my first floor on a concrete slab house. Not this time LOL.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back