Questions about a Manderin Dragonet

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to keep one. The tank is only 8 months old. 120 gallon with a sump and I am in the process of building a 10 gallon fuge for it that should be going in tomorrow or Sunday. So l realize that it could be some time before I can get one but I'm wondering how long? Also I already have a tiger watchman goby and I'm wondering if they will get along? Anyone with experience keeping this species would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say at least 6 months to make sure your pod population really builds up and takes off as you are going to want them in the fuge and sump. With a Dragonet it's impossible to have too many pods.

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a mandarin for over two years now. The refuge will help. Mandarin are very low maintenance. I restock pods one to two times a year. Those two fish should get along just fine.

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you could get one after purchasing some live pods to establish a colony. Like stated above I would supplement by buying fresh pods once a month for a couple months just to make sure he stays well fed. I have one I’m my tank very beautiful fish

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also DIY pod breeding kits. I bought one from Poseidon Reef Systems and add pods to my tank every 2 weeks or so. My mandarin still decimates the in tank population.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody. I think I will wait at least six months to make sure I'm doing it right. Glad to know it would get along with my goby.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I've never seen my mandarins pay any attention to any fish in my tanks, same with the fish. Almost like there in another dimension.

If you can buy one that accepts live food, that would be a plus too.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a mandarin for over two years now. The refuge will help. Mandarin are very low maintenance. I restock pods one to two times a year. Those two fish should get along just fine.

They are low maintenance IF you have a large size tank with a well established pod population. Beyond that they are a very tedious and demanding fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back