Questions about RODI

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got around to getting dual TDS meter. I know I should have gotten one long ago which is probably why I've been dealing with nuisance algae.
Anyhow I'm getting 4ppm tds out from membrane and 2ppm after DI canisters.
System is 6 stage maxwater flow.
I've burned 15 gallons of rodi water to reach these numbers and going to continue to burn another 15 gallons to see if I can get 0 after DI.
Idk if this is normal?
Is my membrane shot?
DI canisters shot?
Its about 6 months old.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#s don't sound right. First off - are your TDS sensors correctly installed? (BRS has a video showing when installing sensors the 2 little tabs need to be opposed to each other and 90 degrees to water flow) If your getting 4ppm after membrane and 2 after DI resin, I'd guess your DI resin is cooked, provided the sensor is properly aligned.

On my system we're on city treated well water. TDS from faucet is almost 320, after membranes it's 4ppm after resins it's zero and I make 30 gallons every weekend.

* I'll try to find you BRS video link

RODI.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would a booster pump help? I'm get 50 psi as is.
Any particular DI canisters your using for silicate?
Was looking at spectrapure silica buster membrane but not sure if its compatible with my system.
0 is where I want to be!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In essence DI filter doing basically nothing.
Yup, ineffective resin. Change.

A good DI resin can pull 50ppm to 5ppm easily (although wasteful and fast) yours doing zippo....

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would a booster pump help? I'm get 50 psi as is.
Any particular DI canisters your using for silicate?
Was looking at spectrapure silica buster membrane but not sure if its compatible with my system.
0 is where I want to be!
On mine because of our city water, I was cooking through dual bed DI resin. 2 canisters every other month. I went to separate resins - Cation, Anion & dual bed resin and added a booster pump (to speed up the process and to lower waste water) I currently replace the Anion about every 3 months and have not yet had to replace Cation or dual bed resin in over a year. I'm not familiar with Spectrapures' offerings but I'm sure it's similar to BRS and others.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys @Uncle99 @Mical thank you I did install the probes correctly and exactly as shown in video.
Here's what I have for DI canisters not sure if im utilizing the right stuff here came with my system but sounds cooked!
What are you using or reccomend? Do you have a link?
Looks like I have 2 DI resins that are exactly the same thing.
20210220_152419.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On mine because of our city water, I was cooking through dual bed DI resin. 2 canisters every other month. I went to separate resins - Cation, Anion & dual bed resin and added a booster pump (to speed up the process and to lower waste water) I currently replace the Anion about every 3 months and have not yet had to replace Cation or dual bed resin in over a year. I'm not familiar with Spectrapures' offerings but I'm sure it's similar to BRS and others.
Alright i see how do you place Cation, Anion dual resin inline on system which one goes first after membrane?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my resin canisters are refillable whats the best anion and cation resin I could buy to replace?
20210220_153651.jpg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mical , sleek looking system. @LRT , yes, yes, yes to a booster pump. You won’t regret it.

A9022FAE-8404-4C34-AD48-D48CD9618B6A.jpeg
Thank you! Btw, mini reactor is for (carbon) for drinking water and our dog... I have 3 reservoirs - 30 gal for RODI, 30 gal for waste (for plants, car wash , etc...) and 10 gals for weekly drinking & dog water.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fresh colour changing resin like what BRS has and many others.
Your is not working.
Mine is black when packed, then, over months, it will turn light beige.....then it’s gone.......

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright just ordered up the color changing brs refill on emergency but going to look for cheaper bulk stuff for next time.

What are you guys running in the rest of your canisters and am I running the most efficient set up?

Right now I have >sediment filter>gac carbon filter>cto carbon filter>membrane>di>di> both duals but changing them out to anion and cation>to tank.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run sediment filter -> carbon block ->booster pump-> dual membranes -> splitter (1 goes to drinking water, the other goes to resins) -. Cation -> Anion -> dual bed resin -> reservoir

Once you switch over I highly doubt you'll need to buy in bulk (maybe Anion) When I need to reorder Anion I'll be buying the BRS 8lb that'll easily last me a year. Since switching over to the split resins both the Cation & dual bed resins have been going for over a year and seem to show no signs of exhausting anytime soon.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run sediment filter -> carbon block ->booster pump-> dual membranes -> splitter (1 goes to drinking water, the other goes to resins) -. Cation -> Anion -> dual bed resin -> reservoir

Once you switch over I highly doubt you'll need to buy in bulk (maybe Anion) When I need to reorder Anion I'll be buying the BRS 8lb that'll easily last me a year. Since switching over to the split resins both the Cation & dual bed resins have been going for over a year and seem to show no signs of exhausting anytime soon.
Awesome! What are you running in your membrane compartments anything special or just regular membrane? I seen they have a silica buster membrane.

Back