!!!!! QUESTIONS I SHOULD HAVE ASKED!!!!!

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I went from a 5 gallon to a 10 to a 40 to a 75 and 5 years later I finally got a 220 cycling.

20161216_180636.jpg

That's what I'm talking about!!! [emoji23][emoji12]

Nice! [emoji4]

katguevara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think many new hobbyist ask many questions and just learn by making mistakes. Most do so with the mistaken thought that a LFS knows what they need and wouldn't just sale them anything. But no they will sale you anything and do. I have seen so many bad set ups that stores have sold hobbyist through out the years. An manufacturers that will make anything and say anything to sale their wares. I have seen many go out of business and new ones come up behind them.
I try out new equipment all the time and many don't pass my test of fool proof success. Many people will not tell hobbyist all the issues with equipment as this will hurt a sale but it doesn't make a long term hobbyist out of buyer of said equipment just an ex marine aquarium hobbyist.
This is my biggest fear being new to the hobby!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Katguevara, this is the best place to ask!

Welcome aboard!!

I can identify with several (many?) of the posts above. On the rare occasion when I _do_ ask a question, it's usually the wrong one - or too late for the answer to do any good.

Got a 65gallon reef humming away right next to me - and a 220 standing empty two feet to the other side of it . . .

@Frop - I saw a video this afternoon featuring one of those package-thieves. They set him a box of four-day-old poop with a 40-second timer and a small explosive charge. Fellow got about 150 yards down the road, and . . . collected his just rewards.

~Bruce

katguevara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Katguevara, this is the best place to ask!

Welcome aboard!!

I can identify with several (many?) of the posts above. On the rare occasion when I _do_ ask a question, it's usually the wrong one - or too late for the answer to do any good.

Got a 65gallon reef humming away right next to me - and a 220 standing empty two feet to the other side of it . . .

@Frop - I saw a video this afternoon featuring one of those package-thieves. They set him a box of four-day-old poop with a 40-second timer and a small explosive charge. Fellow got about 150 yards down the road, and . . . collected his just rewards.

~Bruce
This thread is fantastic! Going to start up our 29g biocube in the next week or so! Wish me luck since I'm still so unsure of things! I don't know what I'm supposed to be watching for when I test my waters or how often. Any advice on starting from scratch?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read as much of this thread and its links as you can absorb:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

Twice, if you can handle it!

When you test, watch for ammonia to rise, then fall. As it drops, nitrite should rise - and again, gradually fall. When I started mine, ammonia was off-the-charts for two weeks or so - and plunged off a cliff within 24 hours. Nitrite followed the same pattern, followed by a steady increase in nitrate - which still keeps going up. (Not in any small part due to the fact that I keep adding new critters!)

If you're using the API test kit, keep in mind that it can be a tad inaccurate at lower ranges - it can be difficult to tell the difference between 0.25ppm ammonia and a true zero, for instance.

HTH
~Bruce

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce

Oh dang.. this is awesome!! Unfortunately the thief would probably find some way to sue the person here. But still awesome.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is fantastic! Going to start up our 29g biocube in the next week or so! Wish me luck since I'm still so unsure of things! I don't know what I'm supposed to be watching for when I test my waters or how often. Any advice on starting from scratch?

Your in good hands here at R2R! This community is chocked full of very knowledgeable folks! If you ever have a tough question that you just can't find an answer to... then just put #reefsquad in the comments of your question. This will get a lot of people's attention! It's ok to be unsure! Better to be unsure than over confident. Once you get your fins wet then all the pieces will come together! [emoji4] you'll be fine! I know I'm excited for you myself! [emoji12]

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to fill a 5 gallon pale with RO/DI for top offs and water changes on a 75 gallon. With my filter it took about 2 hours to fill the buck. I forgot I had it running and left for a few days. Came back to a very flooded apartment. Now I have a 50 gallon barrel :p
This is why I have a "timer" on my system. It was designed for gardeners and it turns off the water after a certain period of time. I used it when I was keeping discus and now that I'm doing reefs and need RO/DI again I've dug it out of storage. Makes things much easier.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest trap I fell into and still find myself falling into at times is reading build threads. I love learning from them, but seeing the end result after reading for 20 minutes or so makes me think I can do it that quick. Need to slow myself down sometimes.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest trap I fell into and still find myself falling into at times is reading build threads. I love learning from them, but seeing the end result after reading for 20 minutes or so makes me think I can do it that quick. Need to slow myself down sometimes.

True! I believe there are 2 types of folks. Those that have patience naturally and those that need to learn it. It can be hard even for a patient person. I find myself in the "naturally patient person" category. This doesn't make it any easier but helps me analyze things a little more before I make a move.

When you look at a build thread I've gotten In the habit of looking at the posting dates. This helps you realize how much time it actually took for the OP to make the steps they did. [emoji12].

Oh but it's so tempting to rush rush rush! Lol [emoji23]

Last edited:
OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are fortunate enough to have a basement, plumb all the stuff through the floor. I'll never bend over or carry buckets (or wack my head while holding a flashlight) again.

Great point again! I actually did this on my fist build! Made life so much easier! Thanks for sharing! [emoji6][emoji4]

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much truth to this!

I remember reading threads from two different people who were having a horrible time keeping corals alive. Their systems were less than 3 months old. They were dosing calc, alk, and vodka. They were running GFO reactors.

Neither owned a test set for anything other than ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. They just found threads with systems similar in size to theirs and mimicked them. :(

katguevara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in good hands here at R2R! This community is chocked full of very knowledgeable folks! If you ever have a tough question that you just can't find an answer to... then just put #reefsquad in the comments of your question. This will get a lot of people's attention! It's ok to be unsure! Better to be unsure than over confident. Once you get your fins wet then all the pieces will come together! [emoji4] you'll be fine! I know I'm excited for you myself! [emoji12]
Thank you!

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Your very welcome! Anytime [emoji4]

Happy reefing! Oh and welcome to R2R! The absolute best reefing forum on the planet! [emoji12]

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any advice for my set up? Or anything you think I need to know?

Yes... read this thread [emoji4]

Maybe even twice? [emoji12]

The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php...-Setting-Up-A-Saltwater-Reef-Aquarium.138750/

The more information you gather the better! It will take some time to digest but well worth it. [emoji6]

Also if you read other folks build threads you can mimic a setup that has the same goals as you.

I'd also encourage you to start your own build thread here. [emoji4]

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks.52/

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back