!!!!! QUESTIONS I SHOULD HAVE ASKED!!!!!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you all:D:D:D on all counts .. I think for me it was not getting a big enough tank too start with .. started a year ago with a 63 liter .. went too 110 liter after two months and now just got a 350 with sump ..

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you all:D:D:D on all counts .. I think for me it was not getting a big enough tank too start with .. started a year ago with a 63 liter .. went too 110 liter after two months and now just got a 350 with sump ..

Awesome ! Join the ever growing group my friend! Lol [emoji23]

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True! I believe there are 2 types of folks. Those that have patience naturally and those that need to learn it. It can be hard even for a patient person. I find myself in the "naturally patient person" category. This doesn't make it any easier but helps me analyze things a little more before I make a move.

When you look at a build thread I've gotten In the habit of looking at the posting dates. This helps you realize how much time it actually took for the OP to make the steps they did. [emoji12].

Oh but it's so tempting to rush rush rush! Lol [emoji23]

For me patients really depends on circumstance. for example zero patients when i was waiting for the right person to marry. But when it comes to setting up my new tank I understand it is going to take a few months and that doesn't cause me to stress.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me patients really depends on circumstance. for example zero patients when i was waiting for the right person to marry. But when it comes to setting up my new tank I understand it is going to take a few months and that doesn't cause me to stress.

I must say I find that funny [emoji23]

For most people it's the exact opposite!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely forgot you told me about this last night! Gonna get to reading! Thanks [emoji4]
And just a suggestion, if you have access to You Tube videos there is a ton of really helpful videos and if I'm not mistaken they have some specific to the 29 gal. Bio cube. :)

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just a suggestion, if you have access to You Tube videos there is a ton of really helpful videos and if I'm not mistaken they have some specific to the 29 gal. Bio cube. :)

Ya I watched a lot of the BRS series before I started my nano. Worth it but hard to understand when you're a beginner.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask more about sump sizing.

I was under the impression bigger is better. While it's better, but it left me with no room under the tank for storage like for dosing and controllers. I found a workaround so it's not so bad now, but wish I had known to take space into consideration. I didn't realize it until after I'd plumbed, glued and filled the tank. by then it wasn't worth it to swap out the sumps

on the flip side, months after having the sump, I am almost out of room in it, so yes, i am glad I went big in the end, lol. Just had to store stuff outside the stand
+1! When I upgraded from 125 to 180 I knew of many "I wish I did's..." Then planned the 180 pretty well- even then I find my self going "I knew better, I should've allowed for that. Lol. I was going to use the 125 for the sump at first... ah the water volume would've been fantastic! Then reality set in, no room for everything else like dosers. Then decided on a 75g so I could have room at the end for a 20g ATO sideways. Couldn't find a reasonably priced one not even used at the time so I settled on a petco 55g. Which in the end worked out great. A 75 still would have left no room for dosing containers. All in all I was happy until I wanted an ATS! Yup, my plumbing is in the way[emoji14]Can't win them all!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you first need to decide on the location for your tank and what size is reasonable for the location and your wallet. Write a list of equipment that you know you will need and add to that list as you learn from the beginners thread and build threads. Once you have decided upon equipment check the pricing and see if you can still afford the set up along with maintaining it. (And please don't count on coral sales to support your hobby! Even if you could that will be at least a year down the road minimum... )
Had to say it because so many newbies lately have been saying this. Next, stay OFF Facebook groups! Too much bad or incomplete advice there. Read, read, read! And also read Randy's Reef Chemistry articles. (Can someone add the forum link? I'm on my phone, thanks)
Don't rush anything and you'll be ok. Oh and get an RODI unit 1st! Can't trust Rodi from your local lfs btw and this is super important to your system. Too many people make this mistake as did I when I reentered the hobby after many years. To my defence I also didn't know there were forums such as Reef 2 Reef and I did not know the existence of RO/DI units. Lesson learned the hard way....

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find the chemistry forum here,Randy rocks!-
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-chemistry-by-randy-holmes-farley.295/

Wow I can relate to a lot of these! Lol
emoji23.png

Two things that come to mind !

1. Many years ago I was dosing calcium and alkalinity and NEVER checked magnesium! I did that for about a year and was constantly chasing my tail all over . Couldn't figure out why!

2. When using a stock stand and using a sump, not having enough room to get a skimmer in and out because of height restrictions!

Oh I've got more!! Lol
emoji23.png

I can relate to slacking off on the Magnesium.Keep tabs on your Mag or your going to have a bad time.

My only regret was not getting a bigger tank, however they regret is being resolved in May :). I done lots of research and so far it's paid off.

A common misconception among new hobbyist is that a small tank will be "easier" to maintain.I try to encourage beginners to go as big as they can.

So much truth to this!

I remember reading threads from two different people who were having a horrible time keeping corals alive. Their systems were less than 3 months old. They were dosing calc, alk, and vodka. They were running GFO reactors.

Neither owned a test set for anything other than ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. They just found threads with systems similar in size to theirs and mimicked them. :(

My best friend says something like "Don't dose what you can't test for." I don't always follow that advice,but I know that I should.I am well aware of the risk involved with not testing for certain trace elements.

In the beginning I should have asked more questions regarding salinity.How to test,where it should be at,how often should I test it etc... Never overlook salinity when a problem arises.It is a simple test to perform and a real easy fix.

One mistake that I shall never repeat is in regards to protein skimmers.You know how they have one or more holes on top of the lid? Well...make certain that these are positioned in a safe zone.Whenever they overflow for whatever reason(kids love dials!) it is usually best that the water will go back into your tank.Otherwise you may end up with beached coral and a wet,stinky floor.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from glass cleaning and feeding, give your whole system the once over every day. A lot of people don't look at their sumps on a daily basis. Anything can happen in a day. I instinctively look every morning and every evening. I check reactors, skimmer, ato, pumps, dosers to make sure everything is working and that nothing is leaking or looks like it's going to have an issue.i check for water on and around the sump where it shouldn't be also. It takes 5 minutes or less and worth the bother. I have caught problems before they became an issue many times. I inspect every seam on the tank as well. (My paranoia since I had this happen in the past). This is your baby, treat it as such! Lol

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing.... BEWARE OF SALT CREEP! Particularly around all things electrical. It gets everywhere as a fine dust. This can & will start a fire or short out something that can electrocute you. Power off outlets every so often and wipe them down. Better to have them covered in the first place.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing.... BEWARE OF SALT CREEP! Particularly around all things electrical. It gets everywhere as a fine dust. This can & will start a fire or short out something that can electrocute you. Power off outlets every so often and wipe them down. Better to have them covered in the first place.

I'll keep that in mind.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't ship to my address anything that won't fit in the mail box. We moved in and ordered a box from Amazon the first time. Delivered around 4pm and we never saw the box. Someone stole it. Our town has mail thieves that literally follow the mail truck and as the post people say usually about 30minutes behind. There are Facebook videos of some of the thieves in our town cought on home CCTV. I've been wanting to leave a GPS in an Amazon box and leave it on the porch. Then post on Facebook where it goes... lol probably won't do that but hope someone follows the dot.
Our packages are frequently left on the doorstep. House doors and car doors are usually left unlocked. A silly practice but I guess it comes from a small town upbringing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back