questions on a new SW setup

daddyw2boysforsale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to add. I had a Fluval G6 i was going to use as a water Polisher only. The canister filters hold a lot of Nitrates if you don't clean them out weekly. I would use a sump. I have a 110g tall tank with a 40 gallon sump. I use a reef octopus skimmer. Go simple as can be to start. Learn how to test your water and adjust it to what it should be. Don't get into a hurry!!!! I ordered rock from Marco rocks. I didn't get live rock. After you do your aquascape add a few piece's of live rock to your sump. It will work. Being in a hurry wont work building saltwater tanks.

daddyw2boysforsale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah also check out youtube. Go to Newyorksteelo what all his video they will help you. He also has a web sight called newyorksteelo.com. He can answer a lot of questions you might have as a new reefer..

OP
OP
L

lerchcon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey thanks for the advice, now I am curious why you are selling 2 boys? just poking fun I am sure it means something mine means just what is says I am 6 foot 5 and towered over most so my mom used to call me Lerch, and CON is the first three letter of my last name :)

OP
OP
L

lerchcon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess the next question would be what skimmer should i get. Whereas i have read that there are alot of options for skimmers, one I really dont know the exact purpose of a skimmer for a tank. I am not sure what the bubble thing is for in a skimmer. My skimmer for my pond is totally different. I was looking into the SWC brand because I hear they are great and really quiet. But I am not sure which model i should consider for a 150 gallon tank? I know you should go +1 but still not sure whick one will work for me? and then I am not sure if it will fit in the sump i just got, because it has a place for a sock to fit in, made out of acrylic the skimmer has to sit in the sump right? does the skimmer take place of the Sock?

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the skimmer should sit in one of the chambers. Usually the one with the most constant water level. Swc 230 skimmer would be more than enough. Or the 180 cone would do the job to. I love my swc. 160 cone.

OP
OP
L

lerchcon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man that sucks I just bought a sump that has the acrylic already built in for the sock. so I know a skimmer wouldnt fit in it. and I paid like 189 for it. that stinks, but I guess I will just have to see what I can do.

so does the overflow from the bottom of the tank go into the skimmer only or does it Wye and go into the skimmer and to the sump at the same time?

daddyw2boysforsale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer pulls the poop out of your tank. Reef octopus sells skimmers that sit next to your sump. I have a extreme 200. I went a little over board . I wanted a skimmer that would carry a big load... I am a single dad with a 7 year old and a 4 year old. I started the name for ebay. It just stuck with me after that. It can go two different ways. I'm trying to sell my kids or i'm selling myself....

OP
OP
L

lerchcon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be honest have you ever watched a video where someone speaking just annoys the crap out of you, that was what i felt after watching three videos, and couldnt take it anymore, plus he seems to just like to talk alot, that is ok if it is informative i guess but thank you so much for the advice.

daddyw2boysforsale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahahahahahaha lol.... That is funny $h*t.. I felt that way when i first started watching his video's also. They helped me a lot when i went from fresh water to salt water. It kind of made me wait and buy good stuff. I have been building my tank for a little over ten months. But when its done... I am saving for lights now. When i get the lights then i'm going to put water in it and cycle it. I'm just happy i don't have to upgrade it. Or buy anything unless something breaks. I just want to see proof that led light work good and reach the bottom before i spend 1500 on some lights... Im into my tank around 4 grand now... But oh well its only money as long as it works.....

OP
OP
L

lerchcon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lord I have a 3000 gallon pond in the backyard with some of the top of the line filtration for a koi pond and i only spent 4000 on it :), I will still do my research as you are doing and go from there. I have a master carpenter that I work with and am asking him to build me a euro style tank stand and canopy, because I am not much of a carpenter, but he mentioned welding steen beams to make the support on the inside, which will be awesome. Then Pino or Oak on the outside. Cant wait to see what he comes up with, will keep you all informed.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 165 49.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 31 9.3%
Back