Quick answer please - strawberry conch, yes or no ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaving soon to get a cleaning crew and the strawberry conches are on sale. They seem like a great addition but I want to double check. Are they a good choice for a new tank in the diatom phase ?

My tank is 75 gallons with no predators.

Thanks

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaving soon to get a cleaning crew and the strawberry conches are on sale. They seem like a great addition but I want to double check. Are they a good choice for a new tank in the diatom phase ?

My tank is 75 gallons with no predators.

Thanks
Absolutely. Make sure you have enough detritus and algae for it to feast on because it will starve. It eliminated my cyano issue they do that well of a job.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No algae yet. Detritus from feeding and lots of diatoms.
Sounds like you’re in the ugly stage. This should be a great addition to help with that. Since your tank is new and you don’t necessarily have a ton of detritus built up in your sandbed because of it, I would recommend not stirring it for it has something to eat. I used to stir my sandbed but then I noticed the conch eating the algae on the rocks more because the sand was too clean. It’s a controversial topic, but if you want a conch, I’d recommend not sifting because it needs food to eat, plus the conch will do that for you

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re in the ugly stage. This should be a great addition to help with that. Since your tank is new and you don’t necessarily have a ton of detritus built up in your sandbed because of it, I would recommend not stirring it for it has something to eat. I used to stir my sandbed but then I noticed the conch eating the algae on the rocks more because the sand was too clean. It’s a controversial topic, but if you want a conch, I’d recommend not sifting because it needs food to eat, plus the conch will do that for you
Thanks ! No problem with not stirring, I don’t usually do it.

Would you get one or two ?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! No problem with not stirring, I don’t usually do it.

Would you get one or two ?
One. I’m unsure if strawberry/tiger conches fight in numbers but I know fighting conches fight when there’s more in one tank (hence the name). One should most definitely get the job done. You shouldn’t even need nassarius snails, but if it doesn’t do a good job by itself, you can get some nassarius later down the road. And also, if you have options, ask for the larger conch. They typically eat more and replace the need to get more snails.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One. I’m unsure if strawberry/tiger conches fight in numbers but I know fighting conches fight when there’s more in one tank (hence the name). One should most definitely get the job done. You shouldn’t even need nassarius snails, but if it doesn’t do a good job by itself, you can get some nassarius later down the road. And also, if you have options, ask for the larger conch. They typically eat more and replace the need to get more snails.

Okay, thanks. I already have 3 nassarius (don’t want more), 2 trochus and 2 scarlet red hermits.

I’ll be adding the conch, some turbos and cerith to get my total up to 15-20 critters.

I’m leaving now, thanks everyone !

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought 1 strawberry conch snails, 5 turbo snails and 8 cerith snails.

I took a few pictures before I never see them again, lol !

76FDFC0C-32BA-49AA-BA03-137E1F74C596.jpeg
D3E6E0E7-D536-45F6-BAA4-262C01D99B13.jpeg
C8F5AED3-73BB-4542-9CB6-02C2B2012EA5.jpeg
7BC5126E-8642-43CB-B9D1-A2D68029E8D9.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I trust them and their cleaning capabilities

KMCA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of conches and at least 1 of them is always being interesting. They're also sometimes disturbingly photogenic I got a great picture I'm using as my display pic.
mine are constantly eating too. I've only seen them bury themselves once or twice.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of conches and at least 1 of them is always being interesting. They're also sometimes disturbingly photogenic I got a great picture I'm using as my display pic.
mine are constantly eating too. I've only seen them bury themselves once or twice.
Mine seems to be buried most of the time.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back