hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my return pump is usually set to turn off over night but I forgot to rest the time after shutting everything down to clean and reorganize my tank before adding new coral and fish.
Any who, the return pump stayed on over night and over heated the tank to about 85F.
My leopard wrasse seems super sad and lying at the bottom of the tank like it has no energy. The color isn’t faded but I’m pretty sure it’s stressed. I added blocks of ice to the sumo to bring temps down and also started to oxygenate the water. I have a six line wrasse as well and it’s doing fine swimming and being active.
I currently have a glass lid I know I need to get rid of.
What the chances of my wrasse making it through this temp fluctuation

IMG_4847.jpeg

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few quick thougths:

I guess see how things go when the temp gets goes down a couple degrees. 85 isn't terribly high, but I know leopards are sensitive.

Leopard wrasses need sand to hide and sleep in.

Do you have good aeration with the glass lids and high temps?

Why do you shut off a return pump?

6 line wrasses make me nervous with any other wrasses. Any aggression there?

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few quick thougths:

I guess see how things go when the temp gets goes down a couple degrees. 85 isn't terribly high, but I know leopards are sensitive.
Temps came down to about 80F after dropping ice blocks in the tank. It came out from under rocks and started swimming so that’s a plus.
Leopard wrasses need sand to hide and sleep in.
I don’t have any sand in my tank, I’ve seen ppl via YouTube place a bowl of sand but I wanted to stay away from sand to lower problems with pest ich/velvet etc. I have to figure this one out as I see it’s necessary. The six line wrasse burrows into the rock work pretty sweet
IMG_4844.jpeg

Do you have good aeration with the glass lids and high temps?
Pretty good aeration in sump and water surface aeration. My tank is kind of heavy stocked so not sure the amount of oxygen available at such high temps

Why do you shut off a return pump?
6 line wrasses make me nervous with any other wrasses. Any aggression there?
I shut off the return pumps in order to keep temps down over night. It’s the reason my temps fluctuate, I don’t have a remedy for this yet.
No aggression from the six line wrasse at all. They actually swim together like they bonded.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temps came down to about 80F after dropping ice blocks in the tank. It came out from under rocks and started swimming so that’s a plus.
That's good news.
I don’t have any sand in my tank, I’ve seen ppl via YouTube place a bowl of sand but I wanted to stay away from sand to lower problems with pest ich/velvet etc. I have to figure this one out as I see it’s necessary. The six line wrasse burrows into the rock work pretty sweet
Yes, at least an inch of sand is imperative for leopard wrasses. Sixlines, fairies, flashers hide and sleep in the rocks. But leopards, and Halichoeres genus and Coris genus wrasses need sand to hide and sleep in.
I shut off the return pumps in order to keep temps down over night. It’s the reason my temps fluctuate, I don’t have a remedy for this yet.
I would try replacing the glass lid with some mesh, and adding a fan blowing across the surface. You can run the fan on a light timer to come on at night. I wouldn't shut off a sump pump.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news.

Yes, at least an inch of sand is imperative for leopard wrasses. Sixlines, fairies, flashers hide and sleep in the rocks. But leopards, and Halichoeres genus and Coris genus wrasses need sand to hide and sleep in.

I would try replacing the glass lid with some mesh, and adding a fan blowing across the surface. You can run the fan on a light timer to come on at night. I wouldn't shut off a sump pump.
I’ll be updating my lid today and purchasing a fan, I just got the wrasse yesterday and looking forward to keeping it alive for a long time. Not seeing it eat frozen mysis yet, the high temps are something else to stress it out along with no sand

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a cup of sand in there! It would be hiding in sand right now if it could. If you don't want sand, don't stock sand dwelling creatures. Rehome it if you refuse to provide it the proper environment.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a cup of sand in there! It would be hiding in sand right now if it could. If you don't want sand, don't stock sand dwelling creatures. Rehome it if you refuse to provide it the proper environment.
I purchased before doing the research. I’ll be adding a sand bed in the tank for the wrasse. Thanks for the input

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a cup or dish of sand immediately if possible. Give the poor guy a chance to calm down and recover.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a cup or dish of sand immediately if possible. Give the poor guy a chance to calm down and recover.
It’s been swimming around and loving it’s new home after I got the temps under control. So right now it’s just YES adding the sand for its comfort

And I think it’s a girl since the pattern on the body is different than a male would look like

2020 Worst Year

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4844.jpeg

Pretty good aeration in sump and water surface aeration. My tank is kind of heavy stocked so not sure the amount of oxygen available at such high temps

No aggression from the six line wrasse at all. They actually swim together like they bonded.
mate i don't think you understand its not a case of if you want sand this wrasse NEEDS sand and will die without it

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you most definitely need sand with a leopard wrasse. I suggest Fiji pink or another 1mm sand and 2” of depth. Wrasses main protection from ich and velvet is the mucous cocoon they sleep in. Without sand a leopard wrasse will not make that plus will be stressed and that is far far far more dangerous then sand when it comes to ich and velvet.

Second your lids are not the issue. I have glass lids on all my tanks with no issues.

You picked up an expert only fish and obviously did no research of course people are going to get grumpy with you.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you most definitely need sand with a leopard wrasse. I suggest Fiji pink or another 1mm sand and 2” of depth. Wrasses main protection from ich and velvet is the mucous cocoon they sleep in. Without sand a leopard wrasse will not make that plus will be stressed and that is far far far more dangerous then sand when it comes to ich and velvet.
Noted
Second your lids are not the issue. I have glass lids on all my tanks with no issues.
How do you keep your temps low, below 80F
You picked up an expert only fish and obviously did no research of course people are going to get grumpy with you.
I mentioned I didn’t do any research, and everyone acts like they never bought on impulse. It’s not 50 years ago when everyone may had to wait two weeks before a product was available to fix a problem

Secondly no one is a gate keeper of the reefs or fish but everyone loves to play that part on this forum. Every single reefer , fish keeper made the exact same mistakes so we all need to act like it

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted

How do you keep your temps low, below 80F

I mentioned I didn’t do any research, and everyone acts like they never bought on impulse. It’s not 50 years ago when everyone may had to wait two weeks before a product was available to fix a problem

Secondly no one is a gate keeper of the reefs or fish but everyone loves to play that part on this forum. Every single reefer , fish keeper made the exact same mistakes so we all need to act like it
You can use a fan pointed at the water’s surface to cool the tank. It will evaporate more water this way but it will result in cooler temps. Make sure you have a decent ATO to compensate or add fresh rodi daily.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank runs about 5-6 degrees above the house depending on light intensity. Keep the surface flow high and add a fan maybe. But honestly have no idea why your tank would be so hot. Sorry

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravel is way to big. It cannot burrow into that
Fiji pink it is then, if my fish get ich or marine velvet I’m blaming you guys :face-with-tears-of-joy:

No but seriously I appreciate the straight forward advice. I did some research and ppl had success with gravel. I seriously don’t like sand

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back