OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank runs about 5-6 degrees above the house depending on light intensity. Keep the surface flow high and add a fan maybe. But honestly have no idea why your tank would be so hot. Sorry
Return pump makes my tank hot, also inside and outside temps. I’ve gotten my electric bill down past month by keeping air off
Also I’m sure now it was due to my light not being high enough. After adjusting my light height the leopard wrasse started swimming at the top of the tank more. Back active as the first day I brought her home

Last edited:

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted

How do you keep your temps low, below 80F

I mentioned I didn’t do any research, and everyone acts like they never bought on impulse. It’s not 50 years ago when everyone may had to wait two weeks before a product was available to fix a problem

Secondly no one is a gate keeper of the reefs or fish but everyone loves to play that part on this forum. Every single reefer , fish keeper made the exact same mistakes so we all need to act like it

Some people are getting a bit more grumpy than they need to but it also isn't true that everyone made these mistakes in the beginning. Part of the difference between now and 50 years ago is that now only one person needs to make the mistake and write it down on the internet so everyone else knows not to do it.

The mistake you made was not researching a living animal's care requirements before buying it and I can confidently say a vast majority of users on this forum have never done that because the information exists and there are endless people who have kept these animals successfully for many years and thus their care requirements are fully known and documented.

In fact, most people come up with a stock list (fish, inverts, and corals) before they even build out their tank so they can ensure they are providing the best environment for their animals.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people are getting a bit more grumpy than they need to but it also isn't true that everyone made these mistakes in the beginning. Part of the difference between now and 50 years ago is that now only one person needs to make the mistake and write it down on the internet so everyone else knows not to do it.

The mistake you made was not researching a living animal's care requirements before buying it and I can confidently say a vast majority of users on this forum have never done that because the information exists and there are endless people who have kept these animals successfully for many years and thus their care requirements are fully known and documented.

In fact, most people come up with a stock list (fish, inverts, and corals) before they even build out their tank so they can ensure they are providing the best environment for their animals.
Everyone makes mistakes and this is a mistake I have to deal with for my future planning and purchases in this hobby. Easy to correct and everyone takes losses in this hobby no matter how well you plan but we all take them alone
Beer Salute GIF

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go with Special Grade, it's a bit larger than Fiji Pink, but still suitable for wrasse.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji pink it is then, if my fish get ich or marine velvet I’m blaming you guys :face-with-tears-of-joy:

No but seriously I appreciate the straight forward advice. I did some research and ppl had success with gravel. I seriously don’t like sand
Fiji pink is a great sand for wrasses. I don’t understand the connection between new clean sand and ich? Ich tomonts will encyst on glass and rock as well.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji pink is a great sand for wrasses. I don’t understand the connection between new clean sand and ich? Ich tomonts will encyst on glass and rock as well.
I’ve QT fish for months and cleaned sand bed, UV sterilizers and always loss fish tangs any way. Maybe it’s due to them also existing on glass and of course rock but I start with dry rock and new tanks. Only thing left was sand. Haven’t ever loss fish with a bare bottom tank

You can go with Special Grade, it's a bit larger than Fiji Pink, but still suitable for wrasse.
That sounds better, I didn’t know about the special grade, as long as the medium wasn’t fine such as sand. It’s on my shopping list for the tomorrow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back