Quick help needed! Are these dinos?

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naturally, right before I’m about to leave for a few days my tank gets a sudden invasion of something that is killing coral. This stuff started showing up a few days ago out of nowhere and I’ve likely lost a Birdsnest and digitata frag from it. No changes in routine and parameters have been stable.
We’re about to leave on a camping trip (within hours) and I fear I’m going to come back to lots of dead stuff. Do I cover the tank and let it black out while we are gone? I’ll be back in about 72 hours.

78F
KH:9.4
Ca: 415
Mg:1290
NO3: 5-10
PO4: .04

Just starting to come back after lights on so not the best pics but here’s what it looks like. Seems to just want to magnet to all my coral.
23B907AF-1DC7-4538-9079-4E0FD172C970.jpeg
F6993977-2F02-4958-9437-7B32FC628052.jpeg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naturally, right before I’m about to leave for a few days my tank gets a sudden invasion of something that is killing coral. This stuff started showing up a few days ago out of nowhere and I’ve likely lost a Birdsnest and digitata frag from it. No changes in routine and parameters have been stable.
We’re about to leave on a camping trip (within hours) and I fear I’m going to come back to lots of dead stuff. Do I cover the tank and let it black out while we are gone? I’ll be back in about 72 hours.

78F
KH:9.4
Ca: 415
Mg:1290
NO3: 5-10
PO4: .04

Just starting to come back after lights on so not the best pics but here’s what it looks like. Seems to just want to magnet to all my coral.
23B907AF-1DC7-4538-9079-4E0FD172C970.jpeg
F6993977-2F02-4958-9437-7B32FC628052.jpeg
looks like it. tank age?

maybe not blackout, but drop everything down a bit with the end color being primarily blues.

what I would worry about is if your ATO will last that long.

OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like it. tank age?

maybe not blackout, but drop everything down a bit with the end color being primarily blues.

what I would worry about is if your ATO will last that long.
Three months

My ATO goes almost a week under normal conditions.

I can definitely shrink down the full period and use more blue heavy dusk dawn periods.

OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thanks for answering so quick. I feel more comfortable with a lowered light cycle than blackout. My neighbor can feed the fish without worrying about a towel covering it up.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, looks like dinos. blackout for 3 days isnt a bad idea. Just make sure to block all light but still allow some air flow. Don't just cover the tank with layers of trash bags with the lights still attached and fry them from condensation sitting on them like someone I know.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, looks like dinos. blackout for 3 days isnt a bad idea. Just make sure to block all light but still allow some air flow. Don't just cover the tank with layers of trash bags with the lights still attached and fry them from condensation sitting on them like someone I know.
IDK I don't think blackout is a great idea if you will be absent and unable to check on the tank.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the better idea is to go buy a microscope. Identify species. Do a ton of research and follow treatment protocol based on species. Probably adding big UV sterilizer and blacking out the tank for 3 days will be how it end, at least that is best case scinario.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the better idea is to go buy a microscope. Identify species. Do a ton of research and follow treatment protocol based on species. Probably adding big UV sterilizer and blacking out the tank for 3 days will be how it end, at least that is best case scinario.
OP will be AWAY for 3 days and is asking what to do with the tank while away. This is not a treatment thread, at least not yet.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others mentioned, cut lights to 6 hours with blue and UV only no whites. I don't think your nitrates number is completely accurate so may want to bump that up a little before you leave with extra feeding or neonitro dose. I would keep good flow going to try and push it into the water column and then you filtration will catch some of it.

OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I’ll cut to a 6 hour schedule with all blues. Ambient light will be less than usual since lights will be off in the house mostly.
Hopefully it’s not too bad when I get back

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think that? Is salifert known to read nitrates high?
Well you quote 5 to 10 not an exact number. So let's say it's 5 and factor in an error ratio meaning lower then 5 that may explain your dinos suddenly appearing. I keep my mixed reef at minimum of 10 nitrates and present it is 14 which is fine and my phosphate. 14 which is slightly elevated but I'm fine with 10 to 1 ratio.

OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you quote 5 to 10 not an exact number. So let's say it's 5 and factor in an error ratio meaning lower then 5 that may explain your dinos suddenly appearing. I keep my mixed reef at minimum of 10 nitrates and present it is 14 which is fine and my phosphate. 14 which is slightly elevated but I'm fine with 10 to 1 ratio.
Makes sense. As with all color tests it’s hard to see exactly. It’s darker than 5 but lighter than 10.
I can definitely boost it to clearly above 10. I was under the impression that anything over zero would be good….maybe that’s just PO4?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. As with all color tests it’s hard to see exactly. It’s darker than 5 but lighter than 10.
I can definitely boost it to clearly above 10. I was under the impression that anything over zero would be good….maybe that’s just PO4?
I try to keep phosphate. 07 to .1 typically. It creeps up with coral nutrition dosing but all my coral vendors tell me 10 to 20 nitrates in their tanks for success. My tank seems to favor the 10 to 1 ratio currently with 14 nitrates and .14 phosphate. I have no algae currently other then a tiny spot of bubble algae in a few crevices I can't access. But your post got me thinking because I'm going on vacation to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Start of dinos, yes. There's more than cutting lights to eradicate.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start of dinos, yes. There's more than cutting lights to eradicate.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
He's going on vacation today. I think he was just looking for a temporary step or two to prevent an outbreak while he was gone and will come up with an attack plan upon returning.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep phosphate. 07 to .1 typically. It creeps up with coral nutrition dosing but all my coral vendors tell me 10 to 20 nitrates in their tanks for success. My tank seems to favor the 10 to 1 ratio currently with 14 nitrates and .14 phosphate. I have no algae currently other then a tiny spot of bubble algae in a few crevices I can't access. But your post got me thinking because I'm going on vacation to.

Can you explain what you mean by 10 to 1 ratio? I see this mentioned often but the math does not make sense to me 14 to .14 is 100:1

Last edited:

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain what you mean by 10 to 1 ratio? I see this mentioned often but the math does not make sense to me 14 to .14 is 100:1
I believe what he refers to is the Redfeild Ratio, which is actually 16 to 1. It's 106 Carbon to 16 NO3 to 1PO4. That is the phytoplankton biomass and nutrient pool found in the oceans in nature.

Folks say that if you run your tank with those ratios that you won't have issues with nuisance algae.

Back