Quick howdy from Texas

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a long time lurker, and finally decided its time to join the fun. I'm getting ready to set up my first saltwater tank (29 gallon bow front). I hope I don't push the infinite patience of this group with questions lol.

Howdy Tex!
(sorry... couldn't help it)

Much good advice to be had here.

But before you start, what fish are you wanting to keep in your tank?

Decide what you want and then buy equipment capable of supporting those fish. Most people buy a setup and then ask what they can put in it.

Dom.

OP
OP
S

Sludgysnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Tex!
(sorry... couldn't help it)

Much good advice to be had here.

But before you start, what fish are you wanting to keep in your tank?

Decide what you want and then buy equipment capable of supporting those fish. Most people buy a setup and then ask what they can put in it.

Dom.
That is good advice that I probably haven't put enough thought into. I think I'm mostly interested in the reef system. I limited myself on tank size because I'm in an old pier and beam house and I didn't trust the floors with the weight of a large tank (and I felt I got a good deal on the package I got). I'm pretty sure I'll it will house a clown or two and maybe a goby of some variety. I want to make sure that I have more experience with the maintenance of a saltwater tank before buying expensive fish (not that inexpensive fish aren't any more valuable lol). Thanks for pointing that out!

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a long time lurker, and finally decided its time to join the fun. I'm getting ready to set up my first saltwater tank (29 gallon bow front). I hope I don't push the infinite patience of this group with questions lol.
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Don’t worry about asking questions. We all do it. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome38.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good advice that I probably haven't put enough thought into. I think I'm mostly interested in the reef system. I limited myself on tank size because I'm in an old pier and beam house and I didn't trust the floors with the weight of a large tank (and I felt I got a good deal on the package I got). I'm pretty sure I'll it will house a clown or two and maybe a goby of some variety. I want to make sure that I have more experience with the maintenance of a saltwater tank before buying expensive fish (not that inexpensive fish aren't any more valuable lol). Thanks for pointing that out!

I agree, the tank you've chosen will certainly allow for a pair of clownfish. Please remember that clownfish can become very territorial and extremely nasty toward other inhabitants. And they will try and take over all 29 gallons of that tank.

My experience has been that ONE clownfish is much more sociable in a tank with other fish. My concern would be that if you add a goby to a tank with a pair of clowns in it, he won't last long.

PLEASE QUARANTINE.

Please tell us more about your setup... lighting, filtration, which salt mix you plan on using...

Dom

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back