Quick Ich ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Z06-Hec
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2014
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
143
Location
Cumming
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted here in a very long time. Came across a weird one for me at least and figured I would throw it in here...
I have an in wall 240 Gal (8feet long) with a 55 Gal sump that has been running since last Aug/Sept. I've had my scopas tang, powder blue and 2 engineer gobies since about Xmas time, all doing great.
2 weeks back I added a small flame angel with just an acclimation, no QT. He went in pretty easy, my scopas tried to chase him around a bit but he definitely held his own and figured out the caves and what not until that stopped ( 1 day at most). Everyone eating like normal and the new guy eating great too.
Today is Monday 6/3 - on Wednesday 5/29 Scopas tang was filled with white spots all over and powder blue had some raised bumps but they didnt look white to my eye. The Angel and the Gobies didnt look to have anything.
I thought maybe it was the Angel got them sick etc, but that cleared up in a day and nothing has come back since, yet... I know there is a 3 day life cycle so im starting to wonder was that ich or something else....
I was thinking what else could have had a stressful effect on the tank.. and 2 things i could think of.
I dose Seachem Stabil pretty regularly... Day prior to the spots, my arm bumped and i spilled a bunch more than shouldve... not sure that would affect them, but was a thought.
Water change of 55 Gal on 5/31
Another possible stress event, I was flipping my turbos with an extended scrubber. Thought maybe I caused them to get stressed IDK.

Nothing has come back as of yet. Will definitely keep a daily eye on them.
 
Haven't posted here in a very long time. Came across a weird one for me at least and figured I would throw it in here...
I have an in wall 240 Gal (8feet long) with a 55 Gal sump that has been running since last Aug/Sept. I've had my scopas tang, powder blue and 2 engineer gobies since about Xmas time, all doing great.
2 weeks back I added a small flame angel with just an acclimation, no QT. He went in pretty easy, my scopas tried to chase him around a bit but he definitely held his own and figured out the caves and what not until that stopped ( 1 day at most). Everyone eating like normal and the new guy eating great too.
Today is Monday 6/3 - on Wednesday 5/29 Scopas tang was filled with white spots all over and powder blue had some raised bumps but they didnt look white to my eye. The Angel and the Gobies didnt look to have anything.
I thought maybe it was the Angel got them sick etc, but that cleared up in a day and nothing has come back since, yet... I know there is a 3 day life cycle so im starting to wonder was that ich or something else....
I was thinking what else could have had a stressful effect on the tank.. and 2 things i could think of.
I dose Seachem Stabil pretty regularly... Day prior to the spots, my arm bumped and i spilled a bunch more than shouldve... not sure that would affect them, but was a thought.
Water change of 55 Gal on 5/31
Another possible stress event, I was flipping my turbos with an extended scrubber. Thought maybe I caused them to get stressed IDK.

Nothing has come back as of yet. Will definitely keep a daily eye on them.


Tough to say exactly what that was. Not all white spots are ich. Tangs are prone to skin mucus plugs,. and most fish can get sand on their skin from time to time after tank work is done.

However, tangs are more sensitive to ich than many other species, and the angel could have brought ich into the tank that then flared up on the tangs. Because they were long term captives, they may have been able to fight off the infection. Still, as you are aware, ich starts off very cyclic - it comes and goes a few times because the parasites are initially all on the same time schedule....so watch for spots returning.

Jay
 
Today is Thursday 6/6 and nothing has shown back up and everyone in the tank is happy.
(2 weeks later)
 
Today is Thursday 6/6 and nothing has shown back up and everyone in the tank is happy.
(2 weeks later)
Im glad everything is doing well
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new