Quick RO/DI waste drain question

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an RO buddy due to lowish water pressure to the house. Up to this point, I've been connecting my RO/DI unit to the deep sink faucet when I make water. I'd like to hard plumb my RO buddy and RO/DI unit to the water coming in to the house in my shop. That would free up the laundry room when I'm making water, and just make life easier. My problem is that there is no drain in the shop.

If I were to run the drain line up through the drop down ceiling (5 or 6 feet vertical), over and down into the nearest floor drain (maybe 30 feet horizontal), would the added pressure on the waste line affect water production? I'm sure this won't work, but it sure would make life easier, and my wife would be extremely happy.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope... my drain line runs up 8 feet to the ceiling and probably 30 feet and 6 feet back down to the laundry sink drain. You'll be fine.
Do you use the semi-rigid RO tubing or 1/4" airline tubing? Does it matter? seems like the airline tubing would be easier to run through the ceiling.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stick with the ridgid RO tubing. It's meant for the pressures related to water filters.
Airline tubing not so much.
Plus the ridgid tubing is easier to run as it'll stay straight-ish as you push it through. Airline tubing will sag and be difficult to route through walls etc.

And I wouldn't worry about any draining issues with large runs. It's only draining so there's no back pressure.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Should be no issue but Use the Rigid tubing and not that cheap clearish crap from Homedepot. I originally setup mine with the Homedepot 1/4" and it sprung 3 leaks in 3 days (with my booster my system runs at 80psi). Went and bought the good blue semi rigid from BRS and hasnt been a problem since.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I will have to make another BRS order.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be no issue but Use the Rigid tubing and not that cheap clearish crap from Homedepot. I originally setup mine with the Homedepot 1/4" and it sprung 3 leaks in 3 days (with my booster my system runs at 80psi). Went and bought the good blue semi rigid from BRS and hasnt been a problem since.
Home Depot tubing is fine... My pressure is around 120lbs and nothing has sprung a leak

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot tubing is fine... My pressure is around 120lbs and nothing has sprung a leak
I am really just considering alternative tubing for the waste line. I'll use the RO tubing for the rest of the plumbing.

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if related, but my roll of clear ro tubing from Home Depot had a bunch of small cuts and nicks in it. Looked like someone hit it with a box cutter.

Remember to inspect your tubing for damage before running it.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if related, but my roll of clear ro tubing from Home Depot had a bunch of small cuts and nicks in it. Looked like someone hit it with a box cutter.

Also be careful while running it. Dragging it through rough areas could nick it as well. Mine has been holding up to the water pressure here for a year and has not leaked a drop.

Scoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Home Depot stuff is real good, the rigid tube is designed for sprinkler systems and other things. It's the same that comes on my RO/DI unit.

Scoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 21

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

It's hot garbage. Just running it through a few i-joist holes in my basement ceiling lead to 3 failures over 3 days. It's not very abrasion resistant and might no leak right away but be careful.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back