Quick silicone question

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a 120 gallon RR tank. It does not leak but the silicone is in bad shape so I want to reseal. I know I have to remove all silicone to do it right. I have searched and searched and need reassurance. Home Depot has a new GE Advanced silicone that says 100% silicone mold amd mildew resistant. It also say 5x stronger than GE silicone 1. Would this silicone be safe to use. I see no where on tube about mold Inhibitors. Ultimately I know GE 1 is tried amd true but I want black silicone. TYIA

1A5F80AA-81F5-4498-B452-346FDEF70EE8.png

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get 100% silicone ONLY! Lots of it out there though. Good luck with the project.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t use silicone but rather sealant such as aqueon aquarium sealant
Scrape away ALL silicone sealant and clean area well with alcohol and apply liberal amount of sealant and smooth out with wet finger.
Allow to dry full 36 to 48 hrs and leak test 24-48 hours with freshwater

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use GE. GE is ok to be use for sump baffle. Get a better silicone if you going to reseal.
This one even say safe for food contact

General purpose, one-part silicone sealant that cures to a tough, durable, resilient silicone rubber on exposure to atmospheric moisture at room temperature. Standard strength paste consistency product that can be applied to vertical and overhead surfaces where pourable/self-leveling sealants are not practical. Has excellent low and high temperature performance (-75° to 400°f). can be used in food contact applications where FDA regulations apply (reference: Cds4319). recognized by UL under UL File # e-36952

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS also has a quality silicone sealant. You can always send back what you don't use ($10 flat rate though).

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anywhere on the tube about additives. What should I be looking for. This says 100% silicones just like Ge1

It also says Silicone 2, which is not reef safe. You want Silicone 1 if you're using GE. There are also a ton of other reef safe silicones you can get, some of which have been mentioned above. I use Aqueon silicone when I build sumps because it comes in small tubes (3 oz) as well as the normal ones (10 oz) you put in a caulking gun. Makes it easier to get in tight spaces.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It also says Silicone 2, which is not reef safe. You want Silicone 1 if you're using GE. There are also a ton of other reef safe silicones you can get, some of which have been mentioned above. I use Aqueon silicone when I build sumps because it comes in small tubes (3 oz) as well as the normal ones (10 oz) you put in a caulking gun. Makes it easier to get in tight spaces.

3 tubes should cover a 120. Get 4 to be safe

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I’m gonna order the black ASI silicone. That should be sufficient since the tank is fairly new and does not leak. Just needs a cosmetic fix with the loose silicone on the glass. I’m kind of anal about that. I probably could have just left it alone but that would bother me.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I’m gonna order the black ASI silicone. That should be sufficient since the tank is fairly new and does not leak. Just needs a cosmetic fix with the loose silicone on the glass. I’m kind of anal about that. I probably could have just left it alone but that would bother me.

It is better resealed it now than couple years down the road and the tank is fully stocks

Back