Quiet Closed Loop Pump Questions

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance for any input!

I want to build a ’loop return’ for an ELOS 200XL. Because I want it to run very quietly, I’ll be keeping the total GPH to ~3000-4000/11k-15kLPH. My plan is to have relatively high pressure but smaller ‘main’ lines (3/4“/20mm, matches the return holes drilled in the system) coming out of an Oceans Motions 4-way. Then, I was thinking I’d use 1/2” exit T’s with eductors, probably 8 of them. My goal is to move more water with the eductors, and make sure I’m supplying enough pressure so that they’re effective. (Open to suggestions here, I’m definitely not an expert on plumbing).

Which brings me to...

A pair of pumps (redundancy!) that can maintain a relatively high pressure but relatively low GPH/LPH (as listed above) and be virtually silent about it. I like the Reef Octopus VarioS pumps in another system I have, but they state that they’re not designed for constant pressure applications. I’m not sure how much pressure constitutes a “pressure” application, but there will be a relatively decent amount of pressure flowing through. The actual head height will be relatively low (~100-150cm, ~3-5ft) but there will be pressure from all the Oceans Motions 4way, all the plumbing, and the fact that every return is going through a narrower outlet with an eductor. I’m not sure yet if I’ll dry or wet mount them, but I do want controllable pumps, and quality/reliability/quiet operation. Thoughts on either a pair of VarioS 8’s or a pair of Abyzz A200’s? Any other suggestions? Money is no object, but I care very much about quality/reliability/quiet operation, and hopefully very little maintenence. I’d way rather pay a premium for something I can rely on without having to replace seals, etc on a regular basis.

Btw, it doesn’t have to be silent, but definitely quiet (~25db or less). I’ll be lining the interior of the stand and back of the tank with sound reducing material, in an attempt at silent operation.

Thank you!

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure what you mean by 'constant pressure' applications. All pumps will see some level of back pressure. Most DC pumps are designed for flow rather than back pressure, so they WILL perform quite poorly against head pressure or significant friction. Educators/penductors do generally need a bit of oomph from the pump; though having eight of them in your tank off 1/2" diversions sounds aesthetically unappealing to me.

I'm running my closed loop with a Vectra M1 through an OM device and then a pair of the RFG 1" nozzles. Pump is silent (can be automatically ramped up and down, which is nice) and has been running that way for 5 years. Before that I used a Fluval Seas SP-4 which was very quiet and worked pretty well. I would not personally spend $$$ on Abyzz, even if I chose to afford it, though I do not doubt they are superb pumps.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also not sure what Reef Ocotpus means by “constant pressure”, that’s what I was hoping to find out. They’re similar pumps to the Vectra series, so if the Vectra is working for you, Reef Octopus will probably work for me I would think, especially since I plan on using two oversized pumps and dialing them down if necessary. Maybe I’ll use Vectra instead - what made you choose the Vectra, if I may ask?

I will be hiding the pipes in the sand and the returns behind rocks, but I see what you mean about the smaller size. Maybe I’m better off with four 20mm (3/4”) returns instead.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is your Vectra pretty quiet? I’m a little leery of the Vectras because I see a lot of reports of them failing (I like that they should alert you when they fail, however).

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a closed loop on my 280 using a Vectra L1. My tank is in the living room right next to the TV and its dead silent. It's been running for over 2 years now.

I run mine on the Reef Crest program.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Btw, it doesn’t have to be silent, but definitely quiet (~25db or less). I’ll be lining the interior of the stand and back of the tank with sound reducing material, in an attempt at silent operation.
Good luck finding pumps that operate at less than 25db.
I measured the sound levels in my sump area a few years ago with Red Dragon pumps and they were at 58db.
This also included my skimmer running and some drain noise.
Then I went into the back of my house to my bedroom and shut the door so that it seemed total quiet and it measured 28db. Just background noise.
But this was done with a app on my phone, so not sure if it was totally accurate.

The first time using a Vectra, I thought I had been ripped off. After turning on the pump ( closed loop application) I heard nothing. I had to put my hand on it to see if it was running. Then I had to look at my corals in the tank to see if there was any flow. There was plenty. Coming from Reeflo pumps, I was shocked at how quiet they were.
My first one was the Vectra L1 and they didn't have a very good track record.
So a few years later Ecotech came out with the L2 and that one seems to be much better.
But after my issues with the L1, I switched over to Red Dragon pumps.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a closed loop on my 280 using a Vectra L1. My tank is in the living room right next to the TV and its dead silent. It's been running for over 2 years now.

I run mine on the Reef Crest program.

@DxMarinefish Thanks for the input! How many outflows do you have and what size plumbing? I don’t know anything about plumbing!

@mfinn thanks for your input also, I’ll probably go with the L2’s, I think Red Dragons would be difficult to get here, but I’m looking into it. I’m just trying to find the most quiet and reliable pumps I can, the sound suppression I’ll install will hopefully take care of the rest.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’ll use Vectra instead - what made you choose the Vectra, if I may ask?
Gosh .... well I was waiting for the Neptune COR to come out but it had been delayed repeatedly and I just lost patience. I don't rememeber if the varios was available in 2015, but I don't recall considering it. I've had good experiences with ETM vortech pumps and I wanted a closed loop pump that could automatically ramp up and down so Vectra M1 it was. It's gotten a bit noisy over the last few months, but I'm lazy about cleaning it out. Was flawless for the 5 years prior. It's essentially silent (less than 25 db) though my other equipment is not. There were some early failures, mostly of the L1 model.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DxMarinefish Thanks for the input! How many outflows do you have and what size plumbing? I don’t know anything about plumbing!

@mfinn thanks for your input also, I’ll probably go with the L2’s, I think Red Dragons would be difficult to get here, but I’m looking into it. I’m just trying to find the most quiet and reliable pumps I can, the sound suppression I’ll install will hopefully take care of the rest.
I have one centrally place input into the L1, the return is 4 output into the DT, two on each side of the input.

Here is a picture, not the best pic but hopefully you can see the central input to the L1, 2 return on each side at the same levels and then 2 return at a lower level (the pic shows only 1, the second hidden behind LR tower).

pic was taken in a hurry as the rock was live and I needed to hat water into the DT.

input to the L1 is 32mm, returns are 25mm.

6F1D7212-0161-4E87-8CC0-6DF1FEA0EBBB.jpeg

shafman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck finding pumps that operate at less than 25db.
I measured the sound levels in my sump area a few years ago with Red Dragon pumps and they were at 58db.
This also included my skimmer running and some drain noise.
Then I went into the back of my house to my bedroom and shut the door so that it seemed total quiet and it measured 28db. Just background noise.
But this was done with a app on my phone, so not sure if it was totally accurate.

The first time using a Vectra, I thought I had been ripped off. After turning on the pump ( closed loop application) I heard nothing. I had to put my hand on it to see if it was running. Then I had to look at my corals in the tank to see if there was any flow. There was plenty. Coming from Reeflo pumps, I was shocked at how quiet they were.
My first one was the Vectra L1 and they didn't have a very good track record.
So a few years later Ecotech came out with the L2 and that one seems to be much better.
But after my issues with the L1, I switched over to Red Dragon pumps.
How do you like your Red Dragon pumps? I'm in the process of converting my pumps to DC pumps. First the skimmer then the closed loop pumps. I'm hoping it will be worthwhile to buy all Red Dragon pumps. I currently run quite a few water blaster pumps which for the most part are quiet and dependable, but they are AC. Thanks!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How do you like your Red Dragon pumps? I'm in the process of converting my pumps to DC pumps. First the skimmer then the closed loop pumps. I'm hoping it will be worthwhile to buy all Red Dragon pumps. I currently run quite a few water blaster pumps which for the most part are quiet and dependable, but they are AC. Thanks!
I love them. I'm very happy that I went with RD3's.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back