NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kk. No rush
I miss it very much, but it is not available right now. For those looking around I also cannot find the link to join a reef club (private group) that used to be in the account/avatar drop down.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay friends, I have this a little more than half updated. Hopefully I can finish it by the end of the week.

I use dark mode and that is what I used for the updates. If you use the normal white mode the translation should be simple. In fact, by using the dark look for the examples, those in light mode may get a better distinction between the posts and the images I used. Thanks.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a Cover Photo

This is pretty self explanatory, but I add it here as it is a new feature folks may have missed. Any thread you start can have a cover photo added to it like this
66B3F94B-CB8C-45C1-84C0-B8DD0554F93F.jpeg

Not sure this is useful for things like help threads, but I really enjoy the feel it gives to member tank threads. To add and modify cover images, click here to get to the toolbar
7E9435DF-89E6-493D-85EF-A919BDF9AEA1.jpeg

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No One Follows My Build Thread!

I get it. You have an amazing tank and your photography skills are superb. I follow thousands of build threads. There are some amazing tanks and amazing people out there who are simply underfollowed. Sometimes threads just get lost in the volume. So what can a lonely thread owner do?

I will share my insight even if it may sound controversial to some folks. The best way to get your thread noticed is to interact with other threads. Especially tank threads. Showing interest with comments and reactions in threads may get people interested in your thread. You may even be passively following threads already. Perhaps even enjoying an underfollowed thread or two.

The most followed and active threads are from members who themselves are active in other threads. I know when someone catches my attention with good insight or a witty comment, I want to see that person’s tank, LOL.

I am not saying anyone is doing anything wrong. R2R is great because we can all enjoy it our own way. Some folks just want to document their tank, others may want to show off a little, some want to buy or sell. There are as many ways as there are users. If, however, you really want to draw more attention to your thread, the best way is to draw more attention to yourself by being active on the site.

BONUS TIPS

(1) If you are a Supporting or Partner Member, make sure you add a link to your Tank Thread in your Signature.

(2) Make sure you have your Build Thread Contributor badge. The new, improved badge will allow you to link to your tank thread right from the badge. If you have a Tank Thread and no badge, please read this.

(3) This sticky has some great tips on how to provide the content users love.

Good luck!

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss being at work and having the time to do detailed r2r shhhtuff. As always, thanks brian. U are the man for even attempting to revamp this thread.

Cheers bud

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a Cover Photo

This is pretty self explanatory, but I add it here as it is a new feature folks may have missed. Any thread you start can have a cover photo added to it like this

Not sure this is useful for things like help threads, but I really enjoy the feel it gives to member tank threads. To add and modify cover images, click here to get to the toolbar

I have a few shots I might try this with. Full disclosure... Keith has it blown up in his tank room i think. Ray's pepperoni's I'm talking here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The latest iPhone update (October, 2019) has caused me difficulties with this site. Here are a few tips I have learned:
  1. when pressing the “Like” button, try to tap on the icon, not the word (iOS now auto selects the word and opens a search pop up)
  2. to get the keyboard for the Search bar field, click the field 3 times (no idea why on this one)
  3. in general, the way iOS now deals with text is unnerving. It is far less intuitive and simply tries to do everything for you like selecting, spacing and searching. I am trying to be less sloppy with my typing and selecting which does help (in emails and other writing as well).
Feel free to add more tips.

Last edited:

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The latest iPhone update (October, 2019) has caused me difficulties with this site. Here are a few tips I have learned:
  1. when pressing the “Like” button, try to tap on the icon, not the word (iOS now auto selects the word and opens a search pop up)
  2. to get the keyboard for the Search bar field, click the field 3 times (no idea why on this one)
  3. in general, the way iOS now deals with text is unnerving. It is far less intuitive and simply tries to do everything for you like selecting, spacing and searching. I am trying to be less sloppy with my typing and selecting which does help (in emails and other writing as well).
Feel free to add more tips.
Ugh. I haven’t done the update yet. Thanks for the heads up!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here at R2R there are several website related questions that are asked repeatedly. We have all been there. It can be frustrating and even embarrassing for an otherwise intelligent person who cannot figure out how to use the site. For that reason, I offer some simple tips people can use to enhance their R2R experience. Feel free to add your own tips and tricks to the list or post any site related questions you may have. If you see questions asked in threads, feel free to link to these tips.

Table of Contents
(Post#....Subject)
..2....Missed Alerts and Watched Threads
..3....Landscape Mode
..5....Undo and Redo Buttons
..6....Bookmarks
..7....Post a Video
..8....Editing Quotes in a Post
..9....Emojis :p
.10...Hashtags #
.11...Posting Links
.20...Tagging Users with the @ Symbol
.34...Mark Forums Read
(and get Alerts!)
.38...Change Your Thread Title
.41...Following Replies
.42...Help! Threads & Unanswered Threads
.46...Excellence & Hospitality Nominations

.64...Add a Cover Photo
.66...No One Follows My Build Thread!

NOTES
(1) All past entries are now updated for the R2R site upgrade.

(2) I use Dark Mode for this site and that is where all of the included images come from. If you use Dark Mode and are having trouble navigating this thread between images and reality, try switching to Light Mode just while reading these Tips and Tricks.

DISCLAIMER
Any comments or thoughts in this thread are meant to help people use this website as is. In no way am I critiquing the manner in which the site is set up, or the tools selected for managing content. With web sites there is seldom a perfect solution that meets the needs of all users. In general I find this site and its layout work well functionally as well as having an aesthetically pleasing form.
@NY_Caveman, How do you do a table of contents? When looking at many build threads there seems to be a lot of chit chat between up dates. I am thinking I would like to set mine up like a book with chapters....is that possible? Permitted?

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just links that point to specific posts within your build thread put there by the user. You have to go through your build thread and find the posts that you want to link to and click on the # in the top right of that post. It will give you a direct link in the address bar that you can copy and paste to your 1st post to create the table.

r2r-1.png

r2r-2.png

Last edited:

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just links that point to specific posts within your build thread put there by the user. You have to go through your build thread and find the posts that you want to link to and click on the # in the top right of that post. It will give you a direct link in the address bar that you can copy and paste to your 1st post to create the table.

r2r-1.png

r2r-2.png
Thanks for the info, sorry for belated reply...didnt get a notification this was responded to. So as an R2R Supporter I can edit that first post at any time?

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so yes, but I also think because it's your build thread, you can do it even if not a supporter. I could be wrong though. ;)

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a Cover Photo

**Edit** found it

Does this still work? I was looking to add it on my build thread but I can't find the "Cover" option anywhere. I am in my build thread, is that the right place?

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Edit** found it

Does this still work? I was looking to add it on my build thread but I can't find the "Cover" option anywhere. I am in my build thread, is that the right place?
Lol, I have been off the site for awhile and just noticed the new cover images feature as well. After searching and searching for how to do it, I finally found a reference to it here, but the option no longer seems to be present in threads? Please advise if this is the case.

Dennis

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back