R2R's Favorite Shrimp is....VOTE HERE

What is your most favorite type of shrimp for your reef tank?

• Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 36 5.2%
  • Banded Coral Shrimp

Votes: 69 9.9%
  • Snapping or Pistol Shrimp

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • Harlequin Shrimp

Votes: 62 8.9%
  • Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Votes: 210 30.1%
  • Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Votes: 145 20.8%
  • Sexy Anemone Shrimp

Votes: 46 6.6%
  • Camel Shrimp

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.1%
  • NO shrimp in my tank

Votes: 50 7.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today let's talk shrimp in our reef tank! Shrimp can be very cool additions to your aquarium for multiple reasons including but not limited to activity, looks, cleaning up food, poo, fish and much more! They can be stunningly beautiful as well as hard working and beneficial to the ecosystem of your reef aquarium. Let's talk about them!

1. What is your most favorite type of shrimp and why? Don't say FRIED! :p

2. How many different types of shrimp do you have in your reef tank? Which ones?

bigstock-Nice-Color-Doctor-Shrimp-Sea-A-282499024.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted harlequin shrimp as think these look the coolest but ive never had one.

I have 1 tiger pistol shrimp and 2 skunk cleaner shrimps in my tank at moment but looking at getting a coral banded shrimp in near future but not decided 100% yet

Edit : as post above says about they exclusively eat starfish,this is reason why wont have one.if could say keep asterina starfish in the sump or in my qt tank then would get one defo

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. What is your most favorite type of shrimp and why?

Pro's - I always have had skunk shrimp. The most active and annoying shrimp money can buy. I am addicted to their own individual personalities. Some will just hang on your arm while you do maintenance. Others will follow you around to see what you are doing. They even come up to the glass and ask for food.
Cons -They rob corals and anemones for food even after you gave them their own chunk.
I never had one kill and eat a coral. Only irritate the world out of them.

2. How many different types of shrimp do you have in your reef tank?

I have had, reef lobster - coral banded - peppermint shrimp
They just don't do much other than cause problems when you aren't looking.

Blood Shrimp, this guy is very shy and never could get it to come out during the day. So beautiful, yet.. Never got to fully enjoy having the blood shrimp.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk shrimp in our reef tank! Shrimp can be very cool additions to your aquarium for multiple reasons including but not limited to activity, looks, cleaning up food, poo, fish and much more! They can be stunningly beautiful as well as hard working and beneficial to the ecosystem of your reef aquarium. Let's talk about them!

1. What is your most favorite type of shrimp and why? Don't say FRIED! :p

2. How many different types of shrimp do you have in your reef tank? Which ones?

bigstock-Nice-Color-Doctor-Shrimp-Sea-A-282499024.jpg
and grits.
IMG_1723 (1).jpg

sorry @revhtree :cool:
ok... fav is a harie.

had a harlie, 2 jumbo skunk cleaners (size according to lfs posting tiny shrimp as medium to large :rolleyes: ) and 2 large blood.
down to one large blood. the rest disappeared completely. no body parts... zip... zero... nadda.

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted for sexy shrimp as I love to see them shaking their money makers as they wander around. still have an idea to setup a pico with just a mini maxi nem and a load of sexy shrimp.

Although strictly not a shrimp I can't let this go without saying the greatest is the MANTIS SHRIMP!

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picking an all around favorite is very difficult as I like them all in very different ways. I enjoy skunk cleaners for their interaction, day one eating out of my hand, not to mention free manicures. Harlequin shrimp are visually beautiful to me. Pistol shrimp are very entertaining especially when paired with a goby. Brine and mysis shrimp are at the top of my list simply because they are a staple food source for my tanks. To choose one almost seems unfair. I guess if I had to choose, as crazy as it sounds, brine shrimp.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
and grits.
IMG_1723 (1).jpg

sorry @revhtree :cool:
ok... fav is a harie.

had a harlie, 2 jumbo skunk cleaners (size according to lfs posting tiny shrimp as medium to large :rolleyes: ) and 2 large blood.
down to one large blood. the rest disappeared completely. no body parts... zip... zero... nadda.

Now that's making hungry! LOL!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love pistol shrimp. They have such a fun behavior and as much of a pain as they are, they are a beautiful shrimp. One of nature’s best marvels as well with both the symbiosis and the snapping ability.
4903C24F-6DAC-441E-871D-1F11834A6F8B.jpeg
528A0335-BF7C-440B-9A65-AECC74A56C76.jpeg

I have had a tiger pistol, peppermint, skunk (both skunk and peppermint died after about a month), and mysis living in my tanks.

Last edited:

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a tricky question. Back in 2005 I would have preached how great cleaner shrimp were. I have had cleaner shrimp rip through my coral beds. Not going in my tank ever again. Sexy Anemone Shrimp seem interesting but never felt I had the proper environment for them. The Pistol shrimp is on my list to get but I don't have a tank for a goby.

I want a Mantis tank.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 99 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back