Rabe's 120 Mixed Reef Aquarium

Rabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry everyone, but I didn't start a build thread here. I'll go get my pics from my phone and other threads and deposit them here.

This post will start the story of Rabe und das 450 Liter gemischte riffaquarium

I started in the hobby about 20 years ago, but I haven't had a reef aquarium in about 10 years. They had always proved to be too much maintenance and too much headache, in my experience. :) But in all fairness, I only had small tanks and other priorities.

I had always wanted a 120 gallon reef. The 48 x 24 x 24 dimensions just seem so perfect. But the cost had always been so prohibitive. But about 7 months ago, I found one online, used and for $150 bucks including a stand, canopy and delivery. Well I couldn't pass it up!

No worse for wear, I moved it into my basement office, rebuilt the plumbing and built a sump

Initial Setup:
1. 80 pounds of Bahama oolite sand
2. ~120 pounds nature's ocean dry rock
3. 2x Hydor 2450 gph powerheads
4. 40 gallon diy triton method sump (actual water is about 20g)
5. Octopus Classic 200INT skimmer
6. 2700 gph return pump (about 1200 at the return head)
7. 2x 165w WiFi LED lights from China
8. 2x 54w dimmable ATI T5 Blue Plus retrofit (still need to put together)

Day One:

IMG_20181002_005817.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woop! A new 120g tank to follow, I love mine! Just big enough to open up some more options, but not too big that it's difficult to manage. Any stocking plans so far?

OP
OP
Rabe

Rabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a month of cycling, I added a small cleanup crew of bumble bee snails, cerith snails, red leg hermits, tiger sand conch and a couple cleaner shrimp. Only about 3-4 per species and 2 of the conchs. Of course, there wasn't much in the way of food for these guys so I fed them a block of frozen and a algae wafer each day.

They've done well, but I haven't seen the conchs in a while. I stopped going looking for them as every time I have before, they were fine when I found them and pretty ticked.

IMG_20181031_235734.jpg IMG_20181021_230754.jpg

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted to do a big tank like that, but just don't have enough room for one right now. Good luck with it, and if you're going all out I noticed you had 2 purple firefish on there ever heard of helfrichi firefish?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-wheel drive goby LOL I've never heard that one, I'm pretty good with Latin names though so I could still work it out ;)

OP
OP
Rabe

Rabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted to do a big tank like that, but just don't have enough room for one right now. Good luck with it, and if you're going all out I noticed you had 2 purple firefish on there ever heard of helfrichi firefish?

No, but I looked it up. That is a good looking fish!

OP
OP
Rabe

Rabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-wheel drive goby LOL I've never heard that one, I'm pretty good with Latin names though so I could still work it out ;)

LOL I hear ya. I've always known it as a twin spot / twin eye goby. But I recorded it as 4 wheel drive - from saltwaterfish.com

IMG_20190214_230915.jpg

Some sites list this one as being difficult. I don't know why, its been a joy and never even hinted at being hard. He drives around sifting the sand and when I feed the tank - he eats LFS reef frenzy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rabe

Rabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're willing to spend the extra money that's what I would go for.

Hmm.. Maybe...

I buy the smallest specimans I can and I put my list together the way I did hoping to alleviate aggression... Introducing the gobies together, introduce the tangs together when I get to them. So far, this strategy is working. My only complaint is that when I bought the firefish, I ordered to of the smallest specimens but they sent one large and one small.

There's been a little aggression between them, but nothing too bad. The big one will chase the small one into it's hiding spot once in a while. Most of the time, they hang out in different parts of the tank and sometimes together.

I'll research this one and see what I can find out.. Then figure out how to justify the $100 price tag. :)

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. Maybe...

I buy the smallest specimans I can and I put my list together the way I did hoping to alleviate aggression... Introducing the gobies together, introduce the tangs together when I get to them. So far, this strategy is working. My only complaint is that when I bought the firefish, I ordered to of the smallest specimens but they sent one large and one small.

There's been a little aggression between them, but nothing too bad. The big one will chase the small one into it's hiding spot once in a while. Most of the time, they hang out in different parts of the tank and sometimes together.

I'll research this one and see what I can find out.. Then figure out how to justify the $100 price tag. :)
Well for the agression thing i've owned both and I find that the helfrichi firefish are less agressive than the purple ones, but that is just my opinion, and well for the 100 dollar price tag I figured that I have spent much more on just one coral so why not the fishies too. lol

OP
OP
Rabe

Rabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank tonight - blues turned down and whites up...

It's still pretty bare with only frags of zoa, lps and sps.

IMG_20190215_000237.jpg

Oh yeah... and the algae I'm dealing with... Another post about that soon.

OP
OP
Rabe

Rabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micromussa lordhowensis

Ordered from Tidal Gardens... Luckily, they are only a few miles from my home. :))

IMG_20190214_231130.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back