Raceway

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen that some coral purveyors use raceways to move lights continuously so as to not need as many lights, would this be an option for smaller systems? And also where can they be purchased? I have never seen the issue brought up on the forum, just wondering

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever seen moving lights used to avoid continuous shading, not to gain extra growing space with less lights. Do you know where you heard about this? I also generally see the term raceway used to describe the style of shallow/narrow and long tanks used in coral or other aquaculture.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, raceway refers to long shallow tanks with linear flow. What you are referring to is a light mover rack. I use one to reduce shading from running 3 kessils on my 180g.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arguably I am able to get by with fewer lights due to the mover. I have large colonies in a SPS dominant 180 and get by with 3 kessils along with T5, which is less LED fixtures than what would typically be recommended for a full SPS tank of this size, but I can’t say for sure it’s a dealbreaker (the T5s do a lot of the work). I do think it helps with shading caused by branches of large SPS colonies shading lower ones.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back