Radion AB+ or bust?!

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my Radion people out there... The go-to "out of the box" lighting profile seems to be the AB+, so by default that's what I have been running on my XR15 Blue... What is everyone thoughts on just keeping this profile and adjusting intensity & time schedule?

Any other profiles floating around out there you guys use?

OP
OP
FoolishWizard

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used the AB plus program but discovered how weak the par was with XR15 lights. I run mine at 100% intensity now on a 36x22x22 tank.
Do you have the Pro or Blue? What Gen?

I have a shallow / lagoon style (12") tank so I dont think PAR should be an issue for me... "I dont think" being the key words.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have always used the AB plus program but discovered how weak the par was with XR15 lights. I run mine at 100% intensity now on a 36x22x22 tank.
Hey, Two XR 15 G6? I have the same size tank and only run at 80%. I've always wanted to turn them up. I never check par.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you are happy with how the tank looks, I would stick to AB+ profile. I was not happy as it looked too blue to me even on an XR30 Pro, so I increased both white channel intensities.

My rationale for this decision is that the corals will get enough blue light as long as the UV, Violet, Royal and Blue channels are at 100%. We can use other channels to tune the looks according to our preference.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are happy with how the tank looks, I would stick to AB+ profile. I was not happy as it looked too blue to me even on an XR30 Pro, so I increased both white channel intensities.

My rationale for this decision is that the corals will get enough blue light as long as the UV, Violet, Royal and Blue channels are at 100%. We can use other channels to tune the looks according to our preference.
This is true, corals don't need white light. It's just for viewing pleasure however to much white triggers algae issue too.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Two XR 15 G6? I have the same size tank and only run at 80%. I've always wanted to turn them up. I never check par.
Gen 5 lights. I par checked my tank. I was running 70% intensity and par was ridiculously low so now I'm running 100% with corals thriving with growth and color. Gen 6 little better spread but you will probably want to be at least 90% depending on the corals you have. I have a total mixed reef that includes 38 SPS colonies along with LPS and softs.

OP
OP
FoolishWizard

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 5 lights. I par checked my tank. I was running 70% intensity and par was ridiculously low so now I'm running 100% with corals thriving with growth and color. Gen 6 little better spread but you will probably want to be at least 90% depending on the corals you have. I have a total mixed reef that includes 38 SPS colonies along with LPS and softs.
I have mine currently ramping up to 75% using the Acclimation function... Wondering if I should bump to 80%.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My XR30 G6 Blues are running at 85% with some SPS colonies almost touching the water and no signs of burnt tips. I think that I can do 90-95% w/o any issues but since I've been running this mode for a long time, no reasons to change.

Chalices (Echinophyllia) do not mind 85% as long as they're on the bottom floor...

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a custom variant of the "radiance" template. Just my personal preference.
Stock Ab+ vs the stock radiance profile, what's the main difference in channels?

FedEx just dropped off my new XR15 blue G6 and RMS arm. I won't be home till tomorrow night and can't wait to have a real light going lol.. does the Radeon still have the shimmer effect as that's what I liked about the prime 16 but what I didn't like was all the shadowing going on and hopefully the Radeon will solve that issue.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My XR30 G6 Blues are running at 85% with some SPS colonies almost touching the water and no signs of burnt tips. I think that I can do 90-95% w/o any issues but since I've been running this mode for a long time, no reasons to change.

Chalices (Echinophyllia) do not mind 85% as long as they're on the bottom floor...
30s are much better par and spread then 15s.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine currently ramping up to 75% using the Acclimation function... Wondering if I should bump to 80%.
I recommend renting a par meter like I did then you can be certain. I increased 1% per day for 70 to 100 over 30 day period.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back