Radion Confusion

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just installed a Radion XR15 Gen 4 over my 60 cube. I have a few tiny acro frags, lots of zoas and other softies, a few LPS... basically a mixed reef. I was looking at all the templates available and reading some of the other threads about which templates most people use. It seems like most folks prefer the Coral Lab AB+ schedule which is a 9 hour schedule.

I am a stay at home grandmother and would like to view my tank for longer than 9 hours. I have it timed to come on at 11:00 in the morning and go off 8:00 in the evening. I have chosen those times so that my husband can view the aquarium when he comes home from work. But I feel like I am here for half the day looking at a dark tank.

Does anyone know the reason for the 9 hour schedule? I assume it has something to do with the hours the Coral Lab was open but wasn't sure. Has anyone used the AB+ schedule and lengthened it a little?

Help please!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 is natural, but if you can try to compensate with a lower maximum intensity during the day.

If you had a lux or PAR meter to say what levels you were currently getting, you'd want 25% less intensity (since your schedule is getting 25% longer).

You can get a free lux meter app, or a handheld meter for <$20 if you don't have a PAR meter. So let us know what you get for readings at the surface! :)

How high is your xr15 mounted, BTW?

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is mounted on the arm that is designed for it... about 8 inches. I am currently running the lights at 50% intensity based on other comments I have read. I wish I had a PAR meter. I might look into finding one. Also, My acro frags are mounted on live rock approximately 10" below the surface.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a 16 hour schedule for my Radions with great results so far, inspired by WWC’s template.

I also like to view my tanks all day and have been running a long photoperiod for nearly 10 years, even back when I ran MH. It consists of low level blue lighting before and after the main photo period.

PM me if you are interested and I can either send a screenshot or email you the schedule.

Last edited:

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be so amazing! Thanks so much for the offer. Feel free to send schedule.

I would also be interested in seeing your schedule.

This is how the day goes, with the main photoperiod sliders showing on the left. Notice that the intensity is only at 62%. That number is where WWC maxes their schedule out for their extended photoperiod, so I went with that and it worked fine for me adding more blue light time onto each end. I also lowered the red channel vs the AB+ schedule as I had a green cyano type algae bloom on my sand when I used the higher percentage recommended by that schedule.

I am running 3 Gen4 XR30s over a 6 foot display, a single XR15 over my 2 foot x2 foot x12 inch frag tank and over my sump frag area, and 3 XR 15s over my 6 foot x 2 foot x 8 inch deep frag tank, all with this schedule.

If you would like the exact settings for all the times, PM me with your email address and I will send you the .etg file. You would save the file and then import into Ecosmart Live via the schedule options drop down menu.

radion screen snip.JPG

And a picture of the frag tank just to show what I am keeping under the XR15

IMG_1996.JPG

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 12 hours on mine with a 5 hour peak intensity in the middle and a ramp up and back down. For at night when I get home I picked a nice low light that is arou d 40 watts that is pleasing to look at. Been going a couple years now with no problem, just dont have 10 hours of peak intensity and you will be fine

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how the day goes, with the main photoperiod sliders showing on the left. Notice that the intensity is only at 62%. That number is where WWC maxes their schedule out for their extended photoperiod, so I went with that and it worked fine for me adding more blue light time onto each end. I also lowered the red channel vs the AB+ schedule as I had a green cyano type algae bloom on my sand when I used the higher percentage recommended by that schedule.

I am running 3 Gen4 XR30s over a 6 foot display, a single XR15 over my 2 foot x2 foot x12 inch frag tank and over my sump frag area, and 3 XR 15s over my 6 foot x 2 foot x 8 inch deep frag tank, all with this schedule.

If you would like the exact settings for all the times, PM me with your email address and I will send you the .etg file. You would save the file and then import into Ecosmart Live via the schedule options drop down menu.

radion screen snip.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

How far is the light from the water surface?

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"If you would like the exact settings for all the times, PM me with your email address and I will send you the .etg file."

For some reason I'm not able to PM you.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a good par lvl simply for viewing?
I think mines are 50-100.

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

radion screen snip.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

could you PM or send your email pplease? i am looking for this schedule as well.

thanks in advance

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

radion screen snip.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG
I can’t figure out how to message you.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried changing some settings in my profile, hopefully the conversation link shows up now. The box to accept conversations wasn't checked. Not sure if that was the problem, I hope so.

I sent everyone who asked a PM just in case.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

radion screen snip.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG
Mind if I have this template? Ill PM you my email.

Thanks a bunch:D

Back