Radion diffuser on Kessil

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a favour, a long shot from someone with the new Radion diffuser and also a Kessil light.

I’m trying to reduce the shimmer on the Kessil as my fish don’t like it.

If you could try the diffuser in front of the Kessil to see if the shimmer is reduced any?

Thinking on buying the diffuser but would like to know it works on the Kessil before I go ahead.

thanks.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be interesting to see

Looks like people on here are loyal to only one brand, no mixing lol

Think I’ll just buy one and try myself, if it doesn’t work I’ll change to Radion, so it’ll be able to use it on that.

Nolalawnpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try it out as well for curiosity.
I don't believe people have an issue with mixing brands. Kessil and diffusers are quite the oddity. Also, quite a lot of people run supplemental t5 so no need for a diffuser.
I have 6 a360x and 4 80w to over my tank. I love kessils but the shimmer from kessils alone is too much for my wife and daughter. If the diffusers manage the shimmer some, I'd do away with the t5 and add 3 more kessils

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try it out as well for curiosity.
I don't believe people have an issue with mixing brands. Kessil and diffusers are quite the oddity. Also, quite a lot of people run supplemental t5 so no need for a diffuser.
I have 6 a360x and 4 80w to over my tank. I love kessils but the shimmer from kessils alone is too much for my wife and daughter. If the diffusers manage the shimmer some, I'd do away with the t5 and add 3 more kessils

Kessil did a diffuser but I guess there wasn’t a big need for them as they have discontinued them.

If you get yours before let me know how you get on, I’ll do them same.

Last edited:

Nolalawnpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did them for the for the ap700. When the a360x was advertised, they showed a diffuser and the narrow reflector. I assume they did away with the diffuser.
I'll probably be a month before I get to working on the diffusers. I have a bunch going on with work, but I'll post here when I get around to making them

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did them for the for the ap700. When the a360x was advertised, they showed a diffuser and the narrow reflector. I assume they did away with the diffuser.
I'll probably be a month before I get to working on the diffusers. I have a bunch going on with work, but I'll post here when I get around to making them

I’ll have mine before that, I’ll let you know how I get on, I don’t think it’ll reduce the shimmer to any great extent though.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the Radion diffuser today and I’m amazed at how much of the shimmer it removes, still some there but it’s much subler, just hope the fish think it’s enough.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mount the diffuser yet? Interested to see how you did it

literally just opened it, I have hung it on the Kessil with string, doesn’t look pretty.
I’m going to leave it a while to see if the gramma approves before fitting it properly but that won’t be difficult as it’s only a thin plastic sheet, I’ll just need to cut a round of it out and glue it over the lens or more probably I’ll glue it to a ring of plastic to leave an air gap, either way shouldn’t be difficult to do.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and yes you were right @Nolalawnpro glad to be wrong this time.

I tried taking some photos to show the difference but the camera seems to magnify the shimmer so you can’t get a good idea of the reduction.

Nolalawnpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha!
You would probably need to take a video with a filter of some sort to try and see. I know shimmer is hard to capture

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back