Radion Gen3 Continuously Dieing?

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 2 days now I've been having issues with one of my 3 radion gen3 xr30 non pros turning completely off after less than an hour. I'm at a loss. I've completely factory reset all 3 then recalibrated and reprogrammed them, taken the problematic fixture apart and deep cleaned it. The fan is working fine, moving freely when tested while it's working. The power supply (older white block style) still has the green power light on when the light dies I even took the power supply apart and it was spotless.

When the fixture dies, there are no lights on on the fixture blinking or solid and the fan stops so it's obviously either losing power or something just killing itself maybe?

This started the day after I had to unplug the fixture a few times while moving it if that makes a difference.

Any help is appreciated

OP
OP
MoKan Reefer

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also now tested the failing fixture on both other power bricks and it does the same thing. But the other 2 fixtures don't have issues using problematic fixtures power supply.

I'm beginning to wonder if the light itself is fried or something?

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's probably the led cluster itself. I have a similar issue with a gen 3 pro which I get the blinking red buttons after the program ends for the day. Unplugging and plugging them in again clears the issue until the next day and then it starts again. My violet and uv lights do not work on this light also. My non pro gen 3 has a couple of violets and uvs that don't work also but the light does work properly. I know it's not the exact issue that you are having but I think that this is may be just a lifespan issue with this generation. Ecotech wanted me to send in the light for repair but I don't think it's worth it at this point.

OP
OP
MoKan Reefer

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's probably the led cluster itself. I have a similar issue with a gen 3 pro which I get the blinking red buttons after the program ends for the day. Unplugging and plugging them in again clears the issue until the next day and then it starts again. My violet and uv lights do not work on this light also. My non pro gen 3 has a couple of violets and uvs that don't work also but the light does work properly. I know it's not the exact issue that you are having but I think that this is may be just a lifespan issue with this generation. Ecotech wanted me to send in the light for repair but I don't think it's worth it at this point.

I'm not sure what the issue is with this fixture. All the LEDs on both pucks work fine. I figured it might be the fan at first but the fan is working completely fine. I even cleaned the fan thoroughly to make sure. I have no idea at this point. Only explanation in my mind considering it doesn't run for more than 20mins is it's crapped out.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you called or written to EcoTech? They might just tell you to get lost and buy a new unit, but they might be able to help.

OP
OP
MoKan Reefer

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I haven't. It started Friday while I was super busy and didn't have time to really mess with it until after 5 so after trying to deal with it all weekend and racking my brain, I figured I'd try to call today

OP
OP
MoKan Reefer

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And... An update. Called ecotech. The guy I spoke to told me the best option was to send it in for service to see if they can fix it. With a 6yr old light fixture, I knew it wouldn't be worth the time or effort for them to tell me they can't fix it and offer me a new generation at a very slight discount.

Anyway, today I plugged it back into the power supply and no LEDs came on on either pick or the buttons but the fan surged as quickly as I've seen an electronics fan. This was new...

I decided to disassemble it once again and take a better look at the motherboard. I removed the led clusters, ribbon wire for the buttons, and 2 remaining screws holding the motherboard to the fixture. On the reverse side I took a closer look at everything and found 3 small black components not far from the usb-c slot which looked a bit tarnished for lack of a better word. After cleaning the area, I realized one of the connectors on the biggest black component was copper in color and apparently no longer making contact with the board. After resoldering the tiny connection back together, it's back and running as if nothing was ever wrong!

If anyone wants to see the area of the issue/fix, I don't have an issue taking pics of the area.

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks everyone who tried to help!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back