Radion or Hydra....

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so i'm sorry I've made a couple posts about this and I keep doing more research into things, then changing my mind over and over...plus I like getting others input on things....

So shipped for 2 hydra 26s and all the addons it's $ 975.33, and for 2 xr15 and all the addons it's $1250.53

which is a big difference but I also know that the radions are a lot better, but I also only have a 40 gallon tank currently but will be upgrading to a bigger tank in a few years. I currently have 2 ai prime hd which can grow corals yes but they are surviving not thriving.

So my question to you r2r is do i spend the extra $300 to get good lights now and maybe add other supplementals to a bigger tank or save the money now and get the hydras and get more supplementals down the line?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with hydra 26 and hated the disco effect from them. Also the hydra won’t allow you to set your cooler spectrum and intensity separately.
I didn’t enjoy looking at my tank so I bought the Radions and love them.
I think hydras are better if using t5 also.
Many use the hydra and they work but I didn’t like them one bit.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Hydra 26 HDs are better than Radion Xr15s but not the XR30s.

If you are planning on getting a larger tank later and want to keep your lights, then spring for the XR30s. If you might keep your 40 running or consider upgrading the lights anyway, go with the Hydras.

I also highly recommend the 3dreefing diffusers for the 26HDs.

@Crabby48 what do you mean by not being able to control "cooler spectrum and intensity separately" ?

ddreher47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so i'm sorry I've made a couple posts about this and I keep doing more research into things, then changing my mind over and over...plus I like getting others input on things....

So shipped for 2 hydra 26s and all the addons it's $ 975.33, and for 2 xr15 and all the addons it's $1250.53

which is a big difference but I also know that the radions are a lot better, but I also only have a 40 gallon tank currently but will be upgrading to a bigger tank in a few years. I currently have 2 ai prime hd which can grow corals yes but they are surviving not thriving.

So my question to you r2r is do i spend the extra $300 to get good lights now and maybe add other supplementals to a bigger tank or save the money now and get the hydras and get more supplementals down the line?
As you know I have two AI Hydra's 26's on my tank because I sent you a photo of them. My local fish store says they will grow coral with no problem. AI and Ecotech are sister companies. They are both located in Allentown, PA. AI can be controlled through a handy app and you need to purchase Ecotech's Reeflink to have this capability. I also have the xr15's on my 300 gallon fresh aquarium. All that being said... AND if you have the money... Go with the XR15's. I wish I did.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, what are the dimensions of your tank? I chose the Mitra LX 7's for my system, over using the Radion or any other LED lights on the market.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Hydra 26 HDs are better than Radion Xr15s but not the XR30s.

If you are planning on getting a larger tank later and want to keep your lights, then spring for the XR30s. If you might keep your 40 running or consider upgrading the lights anyway, go with the Hydras.

I also highly recommend the 3dreefing diffusers for the 26HDs.

@Crabby48 what do you mean by not being able to control "cooler spectrum and intensity separately" ?
On radions, you set your color spectrum, and then you can turn up the intensity. On the hydras your spectrum and intensity is in the same slider bar. you cant set the color and then ramp up the intensity.

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On radions, you set your color spectrum, and then you can turn up the intensity. On the hydras your spectrum and intensity is in the same slider bar. you cant set the color and then ramp up the intensity.

Im fairly sure you can actually do that now? In the app you can reduce/increase the intensity without changing the spectrum

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im fairly sure you can actually do that now? In the app you can reduce/increase the intensity by pinching and vice versa
Really? I was not aware of that. How is it done?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 4 Hydra HD 26’s on my Red Sea S650

I’ve got 4 Radion XR30 G4 Pros on my new 530 USG system.

Both tanks are running in the same room, and the XR30’s win hands down and especially linked into Neptune Apex

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I was not aware of that. How is it done?

When you're in the control tab of the app, you can change the intensity by pinching and doing the opposite finger movement (can't seem to come up with a word for this, my brain must be afk from all the forum reading hah)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you're in the control tab of the app, you can change the intensity by pinching and doing the opposite finger movement (can't seem to come up with a word for this, my brain must be afk from all the forum reading hah)
Like zooming in or out on mobile?

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew that. I'll have to check it out when I get home! Thanks for the tip :)

Yeah I only just found out myself also, they really havent made it very obvious. No problem :)

I just realised you might have mean the nonHD versions? If so, I don't think its possible :/

Last edited:

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a big difference with the hydra and the hydra HD. I.have a set of the hydras. 2 26s and 2 52s. I can adjust individual spectrums and intensity per channel only. I'm pretty sure the hds you can adjust spectrum then intensity. I like them. I dont get a disco effect bc I allow them to overlap so I dont have dead spots. I cant speak.for the radions although I've never heard anything bad.
You need to decide what your gonna use in the future. On the new tank will you be going with radon? Of so then get the radions now. I also feel like if your spending 900+$ on a hydra 26 (non hd) then your paying way too much. 400ish for a pair of used ones you can find them everywhere. Thw hds are more obviously but still not 450 ea. Shop around. Find some used ones, especially if your gonna upgrade.

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@motorthey would be the hds sorry I didnt state that.

After looking more into everything I'm thinking about going with the radions with all the comments and the info I've found.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I dont blame you. on my next build I will be going radions also. I dont use neptune systems. But the lights alone seem amazing. I'd have to replace my lights regardless so I'd spend the extra money one time and do it right.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 25.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 55 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back