Radions or Kessils? And cords for multiples and apex

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will do exactly what you want but in a different way. The Radion isn't any more powerful than the Kessil if you mount them consistent with their design. Radions are lifted high off the water to get a better spread. The Kessils have a far better spread naturally and are mounted much closer to the water (5-6"). In this configuration, they will produce almost identical PAR levels. So the question really becomes, what is your preference?

Having owned kessils and now Radions the actual spread of the Radions is superior if we are talking about spread, also like others mentioned if you have a plan and is not SPS heavy then either light will be more than enough and don’t need the pro version of the Radions, I have 2 XR30 non pro on standard 75g wish I would’ve went with 3 XR15 instead since I hace the option of spreading them to my liking. I wasn’t a fan of the cone look I got from my kessils A360w which were then older model can’t speak on the new ones, I currently have a A160 in my sump for my frags love both lights, Kessil definitely does a better job at blending the lights. In regards to spillage I believe all lights will spill unless you have a hood or Set them closer to the water line but doing so will loose some of the spread and Radions pack a punch and unless you have a PAR reader wouldn’t recommend it, 2-3 inches heigher or lower makes a big difference in pars

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 questions:
Just curious why spend more money on the narrow reflector and not just get the NE model? (Since tank is only 18” wide)?

And if I went the A360 X route....
You think 2 would do it then if I went this route....?
Or should I still need 3?

I had 2 A360w on my 75g and had that cone effect 3rd one would’ve been perfect for a 48” tank

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newer version has some compelling options with the addition of the additional colors to add visual enhancement. The unit may be easier to maintain (the A360WE/N like to collect dust on the heatsink) with the new heatsink/fan design. The USB-C interface allows them to be linked in a better fashion; the WE/N models suffer from voltage drop across the audio cable when linked together (generally over three units) that can lead to a difference in intensity and color from unit to unit. Last up, the upcoming WiFi module adds some flexibility if that is something you desire (I dont mess with my lights once they set so this is a worthless feature for me).

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned kessils and now Radions the actual spread of the Radions is superior if we are talking about spread, also like others mentioned if you have a plan and is not SPS heavy then either light will be more than enough and don’t need the pro version of the Radions, I have 2 XR30 non pro on standard 75g wish I would’ve went with 3 XR15 instead since I hace the option of spreading them to my liking. I wasn’t a fan of the cone look I got from my kessils A360w which were then older model can’t speak on the new ones, I currently have a A160 in my sump for my frags love both lights, Kessil definitely does a better job at blending the lights. In regards to spillage I believe all lights will spill unless you have a hood or Set them closer to the water line but doing so will loose some of the spread and Radions pack a punch and unless you have a PAR reader wouldn’t recommend it, 2-3 inches heigher or lower makes a big difference in pars

Mounted 6" off the water, an A360WE has almost no spill on a 48x18 tank.
44466834044_650fc84ab7_b.jpg

Having owned a pair of XR15 Pros over the same tank, the Radion spread is nowhere close to that of a Kessil (wide) unless your Kessil is 6" above the water and your Radion is 12+. If mounted in that fashion, PAR is almost identical (using an MQ-500) with the AB+ on the Radions and 60% color on the A360WE. I started with the Kessils, grabbed the Radions, and went back to the Kessils because I liked the shimmer. It's truly the only difference in the end but we all like what we like.

Last edited:

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted 6" off the water, an A360WE has almost no spill on a 48x18 tank.
44466834044_650fc84ab7_b.jpg

Having owned a pair of XR15 Pros over the same tank, the Radion spread is nowhere close to that of a Kessil (wide) unless your Kessil is 6" above the water and your Radion is 12+. If mounted in that fashion, PAR is almost identical (using an MQ-500) with the AB+ on the Radions and 60% color on the A360WE. I started with the Kessils, grabbed the Radions, and went back to the Kessils because I liked the shimmer. It's truly the only difference in the end but we all like what we like.

I wasn’t bashing Kessils I did have the older versions which I think were the ones that followed the A350 they were the wide versions mounted with the gooseneck and did for sure have the cone effect.

To the OP also keep in mind that in my opinion both these companies exaggerate their actual coverage for these fixtures don’t go by what they claim, your best bet is to see them in action before committing

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t bashing Kessils I did have the older versions which I think were the ones that followed the A350 they were the wide versions mounted with the gooseneck and did for sure have the cone effect.

To the OP also keep in mind that in my opinion both these companies exaggerate their actual coverage for these fixtures don’t go by what they claim, your best bet is to see them in action before committing

The W had the same spread/lens, the E added additional PAR. They still have the cone appearance (as pictured).

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the Kessils before moving to Radions I had the Maxspect Razor those gave me great results as well great lights

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newer version has some compelling options with the addition of the additional colors to add visual enhancement. The unit may be easier to maintain (the A360WE/N like to collect dust on the heatsink) with the new heatsink/fan design. The USB-C interface allows them to be linked in a better fashion; the WE/N models suffer from voltage drop across the audio cable when linked together (generally over three units) that can lead to a difference in intensity and color from unit to unit. Last up, the upcoming WiFi module adds some flexibility if that is something you desire (I dont mess with my lights once they set so this is a worthless feature for me).
Ya I just realized the only difference really with the X is if you buy yet another controller... not sure I want to add yet more stuff lol
Otherwise you can’t access the extra colors....

I think I’m just gonna put them all in a hat a choose lol

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between Kessil and Radion... I would choose the Radion. I've had (and do have) Kessils and while they look amazing, they do not grow SPS very well unless they are right under the middle portion of the beam. Once they are off-center there is a lot of shading. So the corals look really good from one angle but colorless from another. You would need more fixtures to get the desired results. If you had two Radions I think you'd have the same amount of light that would require 4 Kessils to match. The Kessils will light a 24 x 24" area, but the whole area will not be lit well, unless you supplement with T5... and then what's the point of getting Kessils. Just go with T5 completely.

The other option I read was T247. I recently bought one to replace a Kessil and so far it seems to be doing a great job. Much better coverage. The light itself isn't as nice but the results seem better.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be using the apex anyway so I think no matter what both sets are apex ready so not sure if I would still have to use reeflink....if so that may be a disadvantage to me... I want to use 1 controller and that’s it....
Lol
Reeflink is money better spent than the apex module, IMO. Just plug in the light and let reeflink do it’s thing. You get more control of Radions with the reeflink.... I think.

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to throw in a completely different option (although the thread title mentions only 2 other brands).
If you are still flexible about your controller, why not thinking about this combination:

ProfiLux 4 or 4e controller and Mitras LX 7.

LX 7 have their own controller, WiFi, can be used in Master-Slave configuration AND can be controlled directly by the ProfiLux 4 which has then complete access to all Mitras LX 7 illumination functions (with the wireless card PLM-PWC plugged in the ProfiLux 4) plus special functions like gradually decreasing light depending on the tank temperature etc.

In case you are not so familiar with our products, here are the product links:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/profilux-aquarium-controller/profilux-4/
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/ghl-illumination/mitras-lx-7000-series/

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back