Radions or Radions+t5?

jaybk5211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So contemplating lighting for the new frag tank. I have 2 Radions I can use so could just add one more and run with Radions I think. However the tank is 6ftx3ft so not sure the spread would be what I want even with wide angle lenses.

In light of that, I'm thinking run just 2 Radions in the middle evenly spaced at 2ft and 4ft length positions with wide angles and only run blues at maybe 30-50%, and have t5 lights on both sides of them for good growth. That also covers the tank more evenly I think.

Also how high would you guys suggest on the light height above the tank. It's only 8" deep frag tank.

Thoughts or suggestions?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking run just 2 Radions in the middle evenly spaced at 2ft and 4ft length positions
T H E B O M B !

Take a radion over the tank dry and hold it up and figure the height in inches to get the best spread
. space both from there knowing youll have a little hot spot in the tank in the middle at the overlap. Its cool you'll have a higher lite area to play with or for clams.

2 t5 might not be super effective over 16in?(est guessing guesstimate:))
if the Radionss's are a good spread around there(16in) or closer your golden.

Last edited:

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion plus t5 definitelt. T5s are the best for color and growth and you don't need much to have a positive impact on your tank. I run a g3 pro since my tank is rimless and I didn't want the light spillage to be an issue which is why I went to leds. I ran it for 5 months without a t5 and it was fine, mainly keep anemones but had some sps die off when I switched, but decided to add 2 retrofit t5 since I built a mount that can support both lights. It's only been a few days but omg did I miss running t5. Using giesemann bulbs, only available local and wasn't paying to ship 2 ati bulbs, 24 watt super purple and the blue actinic. Love love love and love some more. Add t5 for the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
jaybk5211

jaybk5211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering having 2 Radions long ways, and a 4ft 6 bulb t5 unit on each side. Kind of like this design. The tank will have 5ft 4" of usable length and 3' wide. Wondering if a 4ft ati would have enough spread on the ends to cover just over 5ft though.

image.jpeg

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely would have enough spread especially an ati fixture, try and get a used one looks for the older fixture I've been told by experienced hobbyist that the old powermodules are more efficient them the new sunpowers, but I only have experience with the sunpower which is a good fixture. That combination should work very well for you, you'll be able to house anything and everything. I have a small aio tank but this is how mine looks. Not the cleanest look but so much better than that crappy rms mount that ecotech sells. Just kept bending over and stressing out the acrylic rim so I built these mounts from conduit, cheap and affective. My front t5 is easily removable I hooked with wire so when I need to work on tank I can remove it simply.

20160505_213530.jpg

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed you said it's on a frag tank so I'd place the lights at 12" and run the radions low. If you ever need to increase intensity you can achieve that easily which is the benefit of leds. I think 16 inches will cause alot of light spillage which essentially is wasted light. I'd personally start at 12" and run the radions at 25% to start while slowly increasing the intensity until you reach your happyville.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag tank is only 9" deep though so corals will be about 5" under the water. Thinking 16" high or more may be better.
not sure what your corals are but you prob want a 20(corners) to 250 par (peak)spread across the floor of the frag tank. That way the middle hotspot might get to the 350 par or better.
then add 50 par to both when the t5 kick on.:D
Its sick.

Jus sayin':)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a par meter on the way so I can dial it in
OMG..
Tag me when your done.:D

The single 4' t5'll look slick.
@ 13 to 16 in they will cover nice to a perfect drop off in the corners.

Consider a no budget floating canopy with gator board. Its lightweight.
a clean slick touch.

good luck/

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back