Radions XR30 VS AI Hydra 52

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the predicament I am in. I am looking to put together a plan for a future build. I want to set up the new Red Sea Peninsula tank when it drops. The only problem I seem to be coming to is the lights. I love the way LED's looks and control but I don't see the advantage of the radions over the Hydras for $300 more! Opinions?

Rodneyri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try go to a LFS and check them out for yourself. Ive had the Hydra 52 (non HD) and now the Radion G4 Pros....massive difference. Radion is noticably brighter, much wider spread and no color separation. To me it was worth it, both are good lights but I felt the Radion was better...but like I said check them out if you can you might like the Hydra.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try go to a LFS and check them out for yourself. Ive had the Hydra 52 (non HD) and now the Radion G4 Pros....massive difference. Radion is noticably brighter, much wider spread and no color separation. To me it was worth it, both are good lights but I felt the Radion was better...but like I said check them out if you can you might like the Hydra.

Unfortunately I don't have a LFS nearby with s light display. Kinda missing out! Wish I could get my hands on these and see. Tanks for the input!

Darth_man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the G3 pros and I like it. Thinking about getting the g4s as well.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Radions gen4 because of the even coverage lens and I wanted everything controllable from ecosmart live - including vortechs, vectra pump and raions. I've seen many successful reefs use Radions and Hydras so you can't go wrong either way. Both are proven technologies so it all depends on your budget. From my research it seems the Hydras are $600 and the radions are $650!... Not sure how many you need.

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you asked this question since I was conparing the Hydras to the G4 Pros too. Been looking at the G4 Pros and the price is the drawback since I will need two. Then another $200 for tank mount rail since I cant do a ceiling mount.

I will say that a couple of the LFS in Houston run G4 Pros exclusively and their corals are all fantastic. I have pretty much convinced myself that G4 Pros are the way to go, just trying to get up the nerve to dump that kind of money into my lights. I KNOW they will be better than the 4 bulb t5s I am running now..its just a lot of cash! :)

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hang mine with RMS rail and hanging kit. I decided on the reeflink which can control my pumps, return, and lighting just to make my life easier.

20170324_190407.jpg

20170323_001404.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back