Radios Gen 5 to be realeased 2/17/20

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it come with a diffuser plate? I know they slightly reduce par but do diffusers also reduce shimmer?

They'll probably want another $75 for diffuser plate, same as the price for em on the XR30s o_O . Reduces shimmer for sure

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they slightly reduce par but do diffusers also reduce shimmer?
They definitely reduce the shimmer. When I sold my Radions, I removed the diffusers so the buyer could see the difference. I had forgotten just how much of a difference the diffusers make until I removed them. The so-called disco effect (color separation) was far more noticeable. I much prefer the diffusers. I didn't care for the price of them, but I was happy to have them installed simply because I didn't feel nauseated after looking at my tank for an extended period of time.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happens when a single LED burns out? No more replacing a single puck? Is it fixable? Repair cost? Is it trashed?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Hmmmm yeah glad they got the hint to change things, but still not gonna buy them. Other larger companies have just out paced them, they have better lights and much better prices. I still love the idea of if it’s not broke then don’t fix it. Unless my lights just explode, there is no reason to spend 1,000 a light. If one has money they can light on fire sure why not. Those with a budget, may not be so inclined, (that doesn’t mean those who make much less either). Still hate the fact how expensive this hobby is, totally ridiculous.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Hmmmm yeah glad they got the hint to change things, but still not gonna buy them. Other larger companies have just out paced them, they have better lights and much better prices. I still love the idea of if it’s not broke then don’t fix it. Unless my lights just explode, there is no reason to spend 1,000 a light. If one has money they can light on fire sure why not. Those with a budget, may not be so inclined, (that doesn’t mean those who make much less either). Still hate the fact how expensive this hobby is, totally ridiculous.

I agree, the prices are getting pretty crazy. Just looking at the equipment I currently run on my system in a spreadsheet the number is insane. People say you don't always need to buy the best and most expensive but time and time again I am brought down to reality when I try to save money. I always end up spending more in the long run to correct stuff and you get what you pay for in this hobby which is why these vendors are charging so much.

Between lights, reactors, sumps, automation, ATO, water change storage, powerheads and pumps I am over $17,000 and that doesn't include fish corals and monthly operating costs (suppliments, energy, food). Luckily I bought a lot of this stuff over time but I just can't keep up with replacing LED every two years when the next "game changer" comes out.

One of the biggest benefits to LED are the set and forget approach. You're not worried about replacing bulbs and running risks of effecting stability as PAR increases/decreases between replacements. Now we have vendors that seem to be on two year life cycles with these expensive lights. We get all this new "innovative new approach" mumbo jumbo in technical sheets/data and at the end of the day our corals usually will still grow the same with the limiting factor being our actual husbandry routines.

I rushed out to get the G4 pro's like and idiot and was convinced it made a huge difference. I had to have one of my G4 pro XR30 units replaced by ecotech and it's been sitting in the box here because as a temporary solution I stuck an XR30 G3 in the mix as a backup and couldn't even tell you by looking at the tank which one is the G3 and which are the G4's. This upgrade cost me $5,100 and even though I convinced myself it was better probably did a whole lot of nothing for me in the long run vs what I had. :)

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely reduce the shimmer. When I sold my Radions, I removed the diffusers so the buyer could see the difference. I had forgotten just how much of a difference the diffusers make until I removed them. The so-called disco effect (color separation) was far more noticeable. I much prefer the diffusers. I didn't care for the price of them, but I was happy to have them installed simply because I didn't feel nauseated after looking at my tank for an extended period of time.

Same, can't take it without the diffuser anymore. But that's what bugs me. The diffuser is basically required for such high end light that it should be included in the package already. But they're still selling it separately, basically upping the already high price.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, can't take it without the diffuser anymore. But that's what bugs me. The diffuser is basically required for such high end light that it should be included in the package already. But they're still selling it separately, basically upping the already high price.

I guess my eyes must be broken, I prefer shimmer and have been so extremely disappointed with my G4 pro's lack of shimmer. It's there but it's very slight, I don't see the color blending issues people talk about either...

I went with LED because I hate the washed out "blast of light" no shimmer look of T5 (which I ended up going hybrid anyway because of shadowing lol). I couldn't imagine sacrificing much needed PAR and what little shimmer I have to make my LEDs look like T5s. I actually bought two XF350 gyres to put on each side of the tank for surface agitation to enhance shimmer and still not happy.

Oh well :)

tkeracer619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more pucks, the new Radion gen 5 is more like a Chinese black box in terms of led layout to provide more even coverage.

I understand what you are saying but to compare these to black boxes is laughable. I have 8 black boxes, they leave a lot to be desired. I also have 12 Hydra 52 fixtures and they are significantly better in all aspect to the black boxes. I plan on moving to these Radions as my budget allows.

Look at the density of the LEDs, it is way tighter than any black box. How about the reflector technology? Ecotech has continued to develop their own optics with several generations behind them. Do we really think they are going to abandon all those years of research to just slap some LEDs on a board? Beyond that, black boxes are made of cheap components, plagued with corrosion issues, and are just slapped together. When I am done with them I literally give them away. The only thing these look to have in common with black boxes are that they are black, are rectangular in shape, and produce light with LEDs. That could be said about any rectangular shaped led fixture. I'm all for progression and simplification of lights and I'm pretty sure Ecotech put significant effort into these. I can't imagine a scenario where they decided to make their lights worse, each generation has upped the game, and pressure on the rest of the industry.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are saying but to compare these to black boxes is laughable. I have 8 black boxes, they leave a lot to be desired. I also have 12 Hydra 52 fixtures and they are significantly better in all aspect to the black boxes. I plan on moving to these Radions as my budget allows.

Look at the density of the LEDs, it is way tighter than any black box. How about the reflector technology? Ecotech has continued to develop their own optics with several generations behind them. Do we really think they are going to abandon all those years of research to just slap some LEDs on a board? Beyond that, black boxes are made of cheap components, plagued with corrosion issues, and are just slapped together. When I am done with them I literally give them away. The only thing these look to have in common with black boxes are that they are black, are rectangular in shape, and produce light with LEDs. That could be said about any rectangular shaped led fixture. I'm all for progression and simplification of lights and I'm pretty sure Ecotech put significant effort into these. I can't imagine a scenario where they decided to make their lights worse.

He said in "terms of layout" as a method to describe the differences with the new G5 over previous generations. I in no way shape or form took that as him comparing them to made in china junk black boxes. If anything he is 100% correct, when I finally saw the PDF that's the first thing that came to mind! I think it's expected that these will perform waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. They stole the QMaven 2's optics design and rather than take the electronics and fan off the fixture, and making it waterproof they turned it into a Chinese black box.

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in its current release form. But yes on the testing side it does.
So should I sell my new bought ReefLink? haha

I could care less about these g5's. My single XR15 g4 is running just fine and my corals are happy. Unless my LEDs burn out or the unit drops in the tank. I'll run with whatI got. It'd be nice though if the app works on g4 when it's fully released.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back