OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great Rich! My sand looks like crap. never got maintenance done yesterday, to busy installing new lights and yapping on the forum ;Hilarious ;Facepalm going to try again today ;)
The dragon goby never stops sifting. And the tiger conch gets the leftovers. But the goby requires daily sand bed lps dusting. It doesnt stay low and sift, it grabs a mouthful, swims up to the top like the little mermaid flying to the surface singing, and then dumps it all out in the flow. Annoying, but what a work horse!

@Retro Reefer dont let this young dog get to ya, his tank is still dry. Guy thinks he can just hole saw some plywood, drop a dry fit picture of a return pump and hes an allstar. Pssssshhhhhhttt

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WD40 is growing a base out and the corralites are starting to bulge.

:)

20200624_120040.jpg

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, anyone who knows me is aware of my love for diy. Just finalized the doodle on my controller power console. Tired of the cabinet dcf forced me into rushing back when we cared for Alianna last year.

Its time for another project. I go back to work July 6th. And this is the last piece of the rags puzzle left unfinished.

@Fudsey u always said the cabinet had to go for my FTS's etc... whatcha think?
20200624_145346.jpg

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been lucky with the breeder just one pest anemone and no asterina stars lurking. Did have to KO 3 gorilla crabs though.

I may be able to buy some of your zoas I think I will be employed by then.

Your dragon goby is the same dragon goby that can live in fresh, brackish, or salt correct? How do you like it? I think 5' is the sweet spot for tank length.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, anyone who knows me is aware of my love for diy. Just finalized the doodle on my controller power console. Tired of the cabinet dcf forced me into rushing back when we cared for Alianna last year.

Its time for another project. I go back to work July 6th. And this is the last piece of the rags puzzle left unfinished.

@Fudsey u always said the cabinet had to go for my FTS's etc... whatcha think?
20200624_145346.jpg

Why bother now?? Just something else to take apart when you shut down ;)

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and you don't have to be a supporter to edit your posts
1593026754495.png
Thanks for the illustration I know about editing was just joking since I haven’t renewed yet and bust Rich on badges from time to time.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been lucky with the breeder just one pest anemone and no asterina stars lurking. Did have to KO 3 gorilla crabs though.

I may be able to buy some of your zoas I think I will be employed by then.

Your dragon goby is the same dragon goby that can live in fresh, brackish, or salt correct? How do you like it? I think 5' is the sweet spot for tank length.
I have a man coming from the boston area who just dumped his life savings into an LFS. Coral-focused. He has 4 four 4x8x12" frag tanks to fill. And wants my reef as a display. He might even consign it and sell it for me. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath. Been flaked on and low-balled 7 times already.

As for the dragon goby i dont know the details on their compatibility in other water conditions and set ups.

When you are ready to pick some zoa/palys lemme know. They are all going in QT today to run fallow for 76 days.

Why bother now?? Just something else to take apart when you shut down ;)

Practice for the future build so i dont run into more learning curves :) and to help with the pure boredom at home awaiting the return to work.

No you don't, just not lazy and proofread before you hit submit ;Yuck ;Yuck ;)
I really need to work on my preview before post skill. :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love spending time with dad. Hes an old crab and wouldnt let me take his picture again. Crybaby.

Went super smooth. Ill prolly do a diy thread on it as i have for all the other projects once its done. Heres where we are so far...

Getting to work at my childhood home with dad. :)
20200625_125217.jpg

1" vents below and above were set to keep air flowing through the rear compartment which will house all the power supplies and lighting Power Strip Box. I will be adding addition 1-3/4" holes on the top as well later tonight or tomorrow.
20200625_140719.jpg

I needed a manner of installing the front panel (display and controller mounts viewable area) that would be sturdy, yet allow quick and effortless access to the rear. So I predrilled 1/4" peg holes at the top on both sides. [see below pics for explanaition]

I chose to use four 2" x 10/32"○ brass button head lugs as my "stopper" to fill said peg holes made prior. Plus two more on the bottom to keep the front panel from sliding out.
20200625_140733.jpg

Enter brass lug:
20200625_140740.jpg

Final product (no holesaw cuts yet)

I managed to braniac the degrees with a protracter and angle-cut 30° to match the pitch I wanted for the display panel. This box is going be sitting 6" off the ground. So I designed a tilt to, top-side-back.. this gives a much easier vantage angle i can easy manage, interpret, and program the Gyre Controller which has tiny letters and numbers. The less leaning over the better. I turn 36 in august and im a bum. Hehe.

20200625_141047.jpg

Really happy with the fit, and look. Wasnt expecting perfection, but the entire build took less than 2hrs once we started. (15 min coffee and snack break in between ;) )

20200625_151033.jpg

I cant wait for that cabinet to come down.
#teamnokids

**Disclaimer**

I didnt preview this post or edit it after. No delete buttons were hurt durring this build. All rights reserved. ;Troll

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love spending time with dad. Hes an old crab and wouldnt let me take his picture again. Crybaby.

Went super smooth. Ill prolly do a diy thread on it as i have for all the other projects once its done. Heres where we are so far...

Getting to work at my childhood home with dad. :)
20200625_125217.jpg

1" vents below and above were set to keep air flowing through the rear compartment which will house all the power supplies and lighting Power Strip Box. I will be adding addition 1-3/4" holes on the top as well later tonight or tomorrow.
20200625_140719.jpg

I needed a manner of installing the front panel (display and controller mounts viewable area) that would be sturdy, yet allow quick and effortless access to the rear. So I predrilled 1/4" peg holes at the top on both sides. [see below pics for explanaition]

I chose to use four 2" x 10/32"○ brass button head lugs as my "stopper" to fill said peg holes made prior. Plus two more on the bottom to keep the front panel from sliding out.
20200625_140733.jpg

Enter brass lug:
20200625_140740.jpg

Final product (no holesaw cuts yet)

I managed to braniac the degrees with a protracter and angle-cut 30° to match the pitch I wanted for the display panel. This box is going be sitting 6" off the ground. So I designed a tilt to, top-side-back.. this gives a much easier vantage angle i can easy manage, interpret, and program the Gyre Controller which has tiny letters and numbers. The less leaning over the better. I turn 36 in august and im a bum. Hehe.

20200625_141047.jpg

Really happy with the fit, and look. Wasnt expecting perfection, but the entire build took less than 2hrs once we started. (15 min coffee and snack break in between ;) )

20200625_151033.jpg

I cant wait for that cabinet to come down.
#teamnokids

**Disclaimer**

I didnt preview this post or edit it after. No delete buttons were hurt durring this build. All rights reserved. ;Troll

Great job on the controller cabinet Rich! setting the front panel at a angle is a great idea :) My dad passed 25 years ago but I still have fond memories of him helping me build the stand and canopy for my very first reef tank.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the controller cabinet Rich! setting the front panel at a angle is a great idea :) My dad passed 25 years ago but I still have fond memories of him helping me build the stand and canopy for my very first reef tank.
I appreciate that buddy. I just love projects.. kalisha and i have been doing so much around the house and in the gardens. It helps with the moods i swing swing through durring the long days.

I have never learned so much in 2 years as i have in reef automation and diy stuff... well.. except the year of training to get certified for nasa electronic assembly requirements. Like, 900 pages worth. ;Eggonface lol... i dont miss the procedures at all.

Here is my current progress on the controller cabinet. Currently at the step right before I start... been here about an hour. Hehe.

20200626_124604.jpg

My father has been there every step of this reef build that required cutting. (He has a nice saw) ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back