Rags2Riches - The Learning Curve. 125g

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never learned so much in 2 years as i have in reef automation and diy stuff... well.. except the year of training to get certified for nasa electronic assembly requirements. Like, 900 pages worth. ;Eggonface lol... i dont miss the procedures at all.

I used to have to take a three hour written exam every two years to allow me to sign for dangerous goods on planes, I don't miss that! ;)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have to take a three hour written exam every two years to allow me to sign for dangerous goods on planes, I don't miss that! ;)
While i was there. The feds came through with a party and took a 20 years vetwran because he left his laptop "accidentally" in the Hong King airport. He got 4 years. Itc and ear.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeeeharrr..

20200626_141002.jpg

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days until my reef's 2 year anniversary. And the project is finally complete to what i had planned from day 1. Feeling incredibly accomplished. Dad even said hes proud of what ive done. Which means the WORLD to me honestly.

Day 1, when i got her home from the barn and removed the ground filtration system from when it ran FW 10 years or so prior.
20200626_205719.jpg

Day 3 set up and wet. Canister filter at the ready. Three trips to the lfs for premix, a mere 3 months into reefing.

20180701_135712.jpg

And finally, tonight. DCF cabinet of doom came down. Control console complete. It all worked on the first try to my disbelief. Really glad i decided to label every single chord prior to taking doan the cabinet. Made short work of routing and rewiring.
20200626_205548.jpg

20200626_203755.jpg

Happy reefer. Cheers all, and thanks for being here for the whole ride. Cant wait for the next build.

Would like to take a moment to thank all the staff and #reefsquad here for giving me a utopia to take reefing head on and succeed. Couldnt have ever pulled it off without this forum. Lucky enough to say I have met some truely great people, and made some friends for life.

Again, thank you all for the support. Through it all. #r2r4life

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich thanks for sharing the ride. Everything looks awesome a perfect end , it doesn’t get better than going out on top such a high note. You should have slacked a bit yo leave some room to wow us with your next tank aftervthe move now you gave set the bar very high. Got a feeling you will find a way to top it tho. /Salute Here to those that wish us well all the rest can.... You know the rest ;)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While i was there. The feds came through with a party and took a 20 years vetwran because he left his laptop "accidentally" in the Hong King airport. He got 4 years. Itc and ear.

Spell check is your friend :p;) or were you drinking at 2 in the afternoon? still trying to figure out the ltc and ear part ;Hilarious

BTW.. control cabinet looks fantastic!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich thanks for sharing the ride. Everything looks awesome a perfect end , it doesn’t get better than going out on top such a high note. You should have slacked a bit yo leave some room to wow us with your next tank aftervthe move now you gave set the bar very high. Got a feeling you will find a way to top it tho. /Salute Here to those that wish us well all the rest can.... You know the rest ;)

Thanks for the kind words ray.

I havent completely figured out what im doing for the livestock yet. But we shall see. Save all that for the next BT. :)

Very impressive, love it. :)

Thanks Simon. The tank saved me as much as i saved it :)

Spell check is your friend :p;) or were you drinking at 2 in the afternoon? still trying to figure out the ltc and ear part ;Hilarious

BTW.. control cabinet looks fantastic!
Thanks my friend.

itc is international trade compliance. I cant recall the meaning of EAR honestly, lol. But its federal level guidlines to keep secrets, secret, within borders. Concerning military and space projects, we also worked with the Navy, and NOAA. Lockheed Martin was one of our key customer contracts on the space side, their capsule, Orion, is the mars mission.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am wondering...... Did you sell it all today?????
The guy is coming this week with his manager of the store, and his wife who is co-invested and gave the green light.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was bobcat project day.
20200627_082355.jpg

Scraped 4 inches off and filled with mulch. There was a pool there for 15 years and it destroyed the soil. So we decided, after 2 failed attempts at top soiling and seeding, that we would just mulch it and make a few bushy islands.

Ended up finding every red brick you see in the photos buried 2 inches down. At some point, the house had a hand-laid brick patio and walkway that went to the back yard. Nature didnt take long reclaiming the surface. Never knew.

20200627_144045.jpg
20200627_145440.jpg

Took the opportunity to rotate the compost pile too. Exhausted.

Lemon shandy and margaritas for kalisha and I tonight. We were covered in dirt and mud. @Raege stopped by to see the mayhem on the way to eye candy shopping :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power console DIY BT is up. I took a few hours this morning and really delved into it. Love knowing that maybe my threads will be of service to future reefers down the line who cant afford to buy it all new, or simply have the skills and drive to be able to try it. I always stick to the k.i.s.s. approach when i build something, glad to share.

Drop in and check it out ;)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine too

Rich the build progression update was great. Enjoyed the read
Thanks don. Been busy prepping the reef. Fresh coat of paint is going on the trim and doors today. Friday morning the buyer is showing up with a truck, 3 bodies, and a case of plastic bags.

Rags may be gone before u make it up here before anyone makes it here sadly. :(

Ray and kathy are stopping over to say goodbye for brunch. LoL.

The number i have agreed on with the buyer is a touch above my aim point. So if he comes at me with a slightly lower number in person waving cash I will likely take it. Unless he pulls a real d-canoe move, should have an empty space to fill in the living room friday night.

We'll see.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Raege
Sanford says hello :) forgot about him...
20200701_095142.jpg

Dendros got some mysis this mornin. Lookin plump. Love to see nature rebuild itself on the past losses. Both of these growout colonies are on top of whats left of the adult heads i once had. I lost them all after they were ravaged by my cleaner shrimp.
20200701_095320.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back