Rainbow Monti Resurrection

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had a rainbow monti that bleached out from me not thinking and sticking it right up top under bright LEDs without acclimation (lesson learned).

There was a small piece that encrusted on the rock that I didn't remove along with the frag a couple months ago.

I've noticed recently the "dead" gray skeleton has small red/orange polyps coming out during the day and the skin is darkening!

Is it possible that it somehow lived through the bleaching and is now making a slow comeback? Has anyone else experienced this before?

Best Regards

SomethingCool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me with an acro. Totally fascinating. I did basically the same thing as you with LEDs and ultimately just left the piece where it was so as to become part of the rockwork and a couple months later I noticed some PE and color started coming back. Now after about 6 months it is a prettier color than it was before the bleaching and growing likes weed!

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me with an acro. Totally fascinating. I did basically the same thing as you with LEDs and ultimately just left the piece where it was so as to become part of the rockwork and a couple months later I noticed some PE and color started coming back. Now after about 6 months it is a prettier color than it was before the bleaching and growing likes weed!

There is hope! I swear it even encrusted some more while it was bleached out...

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned a while back to never throw corals away until I knew they were just skeletons. I had about 12-13 colonies/frags that literally turned grey like right out of a nuke aftermath movie. It happened right after I used too much flatworm exit and nuked my tank like a ding dong. I was so upset with the hobby I just let everything sit and they all grew back and regained their original color in about 3 months.

Crazy stuff!

Unless an SPS RTN's I leave it in the tank no matter how bad it looks.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned a while back to never throw corals away until I knew they were just skeletons. I had about 12-13 colonies/frags that literally turned grey like right out of a nuke aftermath movie. It happened right after I used too much flatworm exit and nuked my tank like a ding dong. I was so upset with the hobby I just let everything sit and they all grew back and regained their original color in about 3 months.

Crazy stuff!

Unless an SPS RTN's I leave it in the tank no matter how bad it looks.

Definitely a lesson learned in the hobby for me too!

cpvince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it can definitely make a comeback! Glad to hear a piece survived!

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it can definitely make a comeback! Glad to hear a piece survived!

I figured I would follow up after my tank has matured so people who might come across this thread can see that corals can come back as long as there is even a tiny piece of polyp flesh left. Here it is today! Lots of color, completely recovered, and growth has taken off!

0afccb305465d3698c516350acaa151d.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back