Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my tank this morning:
Alk 9.9
Calc 390
No3 12
Po4 0.07
Ph 8.0

Can anybody tell me how to rase Calc without raising Alk? Or, shoud I raise calcium? 390 seems a little low... Tank is 9 mo old. Mixed reef. Thank you.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This...this is what you use to raise calcium without changing alkalinity.

Do you have corals in the tank yet? If you don't I'm not sure the calcium (or alk) numbers really matter all that much.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of calcium additives. I‘m sure folks will have a
lot of recommendations but BRS Calcium Chloride is a nice start

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said mixed reef so assuming you have coral just dosing a calcium supplement should be fine. Everything I've read says alk and calcium go hand in hand and should be dosed in equal amounts. That method doesn't work for me. My issue is opposite of yours. I use esv 2 part and my calcium creeps up to 500 and I back off for a while on dosing it.

EDIT: I like to keep it around 440 but corals don't seem to mind when it gets higher.

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will adding too much calcium lock up the pumps and risk turning the sand to rock?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will adding too much calcium lock up the pumps and risk turning the sand to rock?

Yes, but adding an appropriate amount will have no such effect. Calcium up to at least 550 ppm is perfectly fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding it slowly I assume, over a week ? Or can it be applied all at once ?

When doing a one time correction, I'd limit the rise to 25 ppm calcium per day out of caution for impurities in it, not because the calcium rise itself is going to cause issues.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When doing a one time correction, I'd limit the rise to 25 ppm calcium per day out of caution for impurities in it, not because the calcium rise itself is going to cause issues.
Are these impurities organic (can be removed with skimmer/carbon) or inorganic?

If the impurities was like nitrate, where it doesn’t bind/get removed, then is a ramp really necessary if at the end, the total amount of impurities will be in the water?

Perhaps organisms can adjust to the impurities with a “ramp,” but I want to know what types of impurities you are thinking of.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a risk for precipitation ?

Not by adding it fast, only by adding it excessively. It's not a significant driver of precipitation.

Adding 100 ppm of calcium (400 to 500 ppm) is identical in precipitation potential to a pH rise of 0.1 pH units or an alk rise from 7 dKH to 8.25.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these impurities organic (can be removed with skimmer/carbon) or inorganic?

If the impurities was like nitrate, where it doesn’t bind/get removed, then is a ramp really necessary if at the end, the total amount of impurities will be in the water?

Perhaps organisms can adjust to the impurities with a “ramp,” but I want to know what types of impurities you are thinking of.

My concern is heavy metals. They often are not present at sufficient levels to be a concern, but folks use all sorts of brands of calcium chloride that do not contain much purity info. Since raising calcium is never an emergency, there's never a reason to go fast, IMO.

I analyzed a number of brands here long ago (they have likely changed sources/ suppliers since then):

from it:

Cadmium, on the other hand, is known to be toxic at fairly low levels. Canadian Water Quality Guidelines for the Protection of Aquatic Life suggest a maximum of 0.12 ppb in seawater. [Toxicology][40] tests on marine organisms show toxic effects beginning in the 10-100 ppb range. Consequently, the delivery of 4 ppb (for the two Kent products) over the course of a year may be a concern. The other calcium chloride samples had significantly less cadmium.

Chromium is another potential concern with some of these samples. Canadian Water Quality Guidelines for the Protection of Aquatic Life suggest a maximum of 56 ppb in seawater for chromium III compounds, and 1.5 ppb for chromium VI compounds. Chromium compounds in an aquarium are likely to be chromium III as the chromium VI compounds are highly oxidizing and will rapidly react with organics and other inorganic ions to give chromium III compounds again. Consequently, the delivery of 4-6 ppb of chromium (for the two Kent products) over the course of a year is not likely a significant concern.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree. There’s never a reason to rush.

I was mainly wondering if there will be a build up of these impurities with long term use of calcium chloride.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back