Random clam removal question

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone -

A few weeks ago, I ordered rock from Gulf Live Rock - I'm mostly pleased with the order, but that's not what I'm here about. On some of the rock, there are 3 or 4 good sized clams attached. They're all still alive and doing well, but they're attached by the shell - not the hinge area, and facing the opposite way that I'd prefer. I'd rather not re-arrange the aquascape, and was wondering if I could get in there with a butter knife or something and pop them off and place them somewhere else without harming them. Has anyone done anything like this before? Any pointers?

Thanks for any help -

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd probably do more harm than good trying to pry it off. Years ago I got Florida live rock with 3 clams embedded into it, only one faced where I could see it well. They lived for some time but eventually died.
But they were cool to watch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snitch

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of what I was afraid of - I don't want to hurt them, obviously - I just want to move them off the rocks they're on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back