Random Flow Generators & Random Flow in Your Reef Tank

Do you use a random flow generator device in your reef aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 228 55.9%
  • NO

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • Kinda (please explain)

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use them, but I am interested, I will probably wait for the new version (Flex Series). I do have a question for VCA or whoever can answer it, what happens when you go above the suggested optimal flow? I run two 3/4" returns on a 75g tank coming off from a COR pump (2000gph, but of course, there's some head pressure holding back the maximum flow). Both outlets are fitted with Loc-Lines.

Or...if I dial back my COR, are there any noticeable signs that you are within suggested optimal flow range?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use them, but I am interested, I will probably wait for the new version (Flex Series). I do have a question for VCA or whoever can answer it, what happens when you go above the suggested optimal flow? I run two 3/4" returns on a 75g tank coming off from a COR pump (2000gph, but of course, there's some head pressure holding back the maximum flow). Both outlets are fitted with Loc-Lines.

Or...if I dial back my COR, are there any noticeable signs that you are within suggested optimal flow range?

Flex was just officially released - you can read about it here, and shop for it here, and here. You'll also start seeing it at your local fish stores and all major online retailers in the following days and weeks.

You question regarding going over the flow rating is a good one, and one that I think a lot of people wonder about.

The short answer is, with more flow behind the Random Flow Generator, you get a bigger more pronounced flow pattern.

Basically, each RFG nozzle has a suggested optimal flow rate or SOF Rating for short. The SOF rating is where we think you'll get the best randomization and flow for the least amount of back pressure.

If you keep it at around the SOF rating, you should expect to see no more than a 10 to 15% throughput loss, or head pressure.

With that said, if you have head pressure to spare, like you do in your case, we would highly encourage you to push the boundaries. Over driving an RFG creates a bigger more punchy randomized flow.

Supply a 3/4in Random Flow Generator in the 600 to 700 GPH (ore more) range and all of a sudden, you've got a device that almost acts like a wave maker with huge randomized flow pattern. More pressure equals a bigger effect.

This is not a great video, but it does show what happens when you over drive 3/4in RFG nozzles (to the extreme) - this was sent to me by one of the coral growers that use our RFG nozzles in in their grow out systems - he had just switch over to the Flex.

With the new Flex Series RFG, that "wave maker like" effect is actually accentuated in high flow scenarios. Because the RFG nozzle itself is semi flexible. It will actually flex a little from the lateral forces being created. It flexes about a degree in the direction of the flow . That little bit of flex translates into an even bigger more broad flow pattern.

This short video demonstrates the effect along with a few of the other attributes the Flex series brings.

Last edited:

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's an EVO Spec V (5-gallon tank) you might better off with the 1/4in RFG. If however you want to stick with the 1/2in then you would definitely need to bring that up to at least 300 GPH.

With the 1/4in you can get good flow with 100GPH to 200 GPH (or more)

We make a kit specifically for the FLuval Spec Evo/V
It is the evo 13.5, but guessing I might still need to try and find a more powerful pump that will still fit in the back chamber, or go back to trying to find a power head that isn’t too powerful for this little tank.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the evo 13.5, but guessing I might still need to try and find a more powerful pump that will still fit in the back chamber, or go back to trying to find a power head that isn’t too powerful for this little tank.
There are few pumps that would do the trick

Prretty sure you can fit a Sicce 1.5 - possible a 2 in the back chamber. Then there is also some of the smaller DC pumps like the new Innovative Marine MightyJet Mini which will pus up to 266 (a little better then you have now). You might be able to fit a regular Mightyjet back there. Those come in 326, and 538 GPH flow rates.

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 1” one on my return pump on an 8’ tank and it makes waves across the whole tank. I just got my RD3 speedy 230 hooked up for a closed loop with 6 - 3/4” VCA nozzles. I got 1 of them running tonight and ran out of teflon Tape so I couldn’t do the rest. They work VERY well!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 1” one on my return pump on an 8’ tank and it makes waves across the whole tank. I just got my RD3 speedy 230 hooked up for a closed loop with 6 - 3/4” VCA nozzles. I got 1 of them running tonight and ran out of teflon Tape so I couldn’t do the rest. They work VERY well!
That awesome.

On that 1in RFG, are you running the 1in Slip-Fit RFG or the 1in RFG for modular hose?

The reason I ask, is the 1in RFG Slip-Fit for pipe has a different geometry than the 1in RFG for Modular hose

The 1in Modular hose version has a compressed genoetry , making it shorter. the reuslt is a much wider flow pattern. The Slip-fit version has our regular geometry and is longer - giving it a much further throw, so to speak./

1664045169944.png

1664045217718.png

Both are capable of creating some pretty series waves, but the Pipe-Fit version definitely is on a whole another level. Ive seen a number of 10-ft coral flats flowed form end-to-end with just 2 to 3, 1in Slip-Fit RFGs at one just one end.

Attachments

• 1664045254827.png
    1664045254827.png
    223 KB · Views: 28

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That awesome.

On that 1in RFG, are you running the 1in Slip-Fit RFG or the 1in RFG for modular hose?

The reason I ask, is the 1in RFG Slip-Fit for pipe has a different geometry than the 1in RFG for Modular hose

The 1in Modular hose version has a compressed genoetry , making it shorter. the reuslt is a much wider flow pattern. The Slip-fit version has our regular geometry and is longer - giving it a much further throw, so to speak./

1664045169944.png

1664045217718.png

Both are capable of creating some pretty series waves, but the Pipe-Fit version definitely is on a whole another level. Ive seen a number of 10-ft coral flats flowed form end-to-end with just 2 to 3, 1in Slip-Fit RFGs at one just one end.

I’m running one of the modular hose ones. I bought 2 of the 1” ones. Shoot I wish I would have known that!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running one of the modular hose ones. I bought 2 of the 1” ones. Shoot I wish I would have known that!
They both work well and I think will do what you need. The main difference is the stregnth or velocity of the flow at distance.

We have a local shop (Limited Edition Corals) that has a 10ft x 4ft coral flat running the 1in Shorties (1in modular hose version) at one end and a few 3/4in at the other, and the flow is amazing. This is an older video, but this tank is still running to this today -

I was there this past weekend and all their coral tanks both on the showroom floor and in the back in their grow out facility are being 100% flowed by RFG nozzles

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both work well and I think will do what you need. The main difference is the stregnth or velocity of the flow at distance.

We have a local shop (Limited Edition Corals) that has a 10ft x 4ft coral flat running the 1in Shorties (1in modular hose version) at one end and a few 3/4in at the other, and the flow is amazing. This is an older video, but this tank is still running to this today -

I was there this past weekend and all their coral tanks both on the showroom floor and in the back in their grow out facility are being 100% flowed by RFG nozzles

Here is a short video of mine running at 150 watts on the rd3 230 watt. I can crank it up and it gets rediculous! I will do it tonight and post a video just because….it’s pretty amazing!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the flex series is made out of TPU? If so, I learned something new and never knew it was reef safe.

The RFG Flex Series is in fact a TPU and it is reef safe.

The TPU we are using is a Thermoplastic Polyurethane base, which is essentially the same type of flexible plastic you'll find in many durable pet chew toys. It's both non-toxic and highly chemically resistant. We've had samples and prototypes running in our own tanks for at least 7 to 8 months now. We were also Privy to a separate six-month long study of TPU used in the sump area of a reef tank.

The blend we are using also has good UV resistance and is just stiff enough to allow for a good solid fit, but flexible enough to make cleaning them super easy.

We are very excited to be able to bring the RFG Flex Series to the market
RFG075-FLX_3908_squeez.jpg

RFG075-FLX_3909.jpg RFG075-FLX_3912.jpg RFG075-FLX_3919.jpg

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a short video of mine running at 150 watts on the rd3 230 watt. I can crank it up and it gets rediculous! I will do it tonight and post a video just because….it’s pretty amazing!
That flow looks really good. Would love to see more on this tank.

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RFG Flex Series is in fact a TPU and it is reef safe.

The TPU we are using is a Thermoplastic Polyurethane base, which is essentially the same type of flexible plastic you'll find in many durable pet chew toys. It's both non-toxic and highly chemically resistant. We've had samples and prototypes running in our own tanks for at least 7 to 8 months now. We were also Privy to a separate six-month long study of TPU used in the sump area of a reef tank.

The blend we are using also has good UV resistance and is just stiff enough to allow for a good solid fit, but flexible enough to make cleaning them super easy.

We are very excited to be able to bring the RFG Flex Series to the market
RFG075-FLX_3908_squeez.jpg

RFG075-FLX_3909.jpg RFG075-FLX_3912.jpg RFG075-FLX_3919.jpg
Props to you guys to make such a good looking nozzle out of TPU and not have the stringing like normal... Printers must be dialed in!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Props to you guys to make such a good looking nozzle out of TPU and not have the stringing like normal... Printers must be dialed in!
Thanks @CWalters - we worked really hard to get them like that. The printers are dialed in we spend almost as much time designing the print process (slice file) as we do designing the part.

To effetely and efficiently print TPU on a mass scale, It did require that all the printers on that production line (about 16 of them) be upgraded and modded to make that possible.

The result is pretty amazing - check out this "Farm Fresh" 3/4in Flex Series Random Flow Generator.

To be fair, not every Flex Series RFG that comes off the line looks as good as this one - but if they don't meet our minimum visual requirements, we wont pass them.

If they make it out of the production room, they will be sent through our 4-stage QC process, where they will be
1) inspected
2) cleaned and heat treated
3) checked for fit, finish and sized, then
4) given one last inspection before being packaged.

If they fail at any of those stages, they don't get passed and thus never make it into a retail package.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back