Random Questions in a common thread

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a number of questions that I felt like asking over the last few months but havent. Now that I have a pretty good backlog, I figured I would ask them in one bigger thread.

1. I am about to start running an RO-DI system from my utility sink. This sink has a reoccuring issue that causes the water to smell like hyrdogen sulfide (rotten egg smelling water). Has anyone had experience with this going through an RO/DI system and have there been any negative effects on the aquarium? (I am looking for actual experience and not hypothetical because I would say the same thing that 'it cant be good for the tank').
2. After figuring out my water chemistry issues, I am not seeing much algae (none in fact other than a small patch of ulva on my snails and a small patch of bubble algae) on my rocks and glassworks. I have a collector urchin that used to mow down my algae issues. Do I have to worry about it starving to death? I keep trying to drop it on a piece of nori..but no luck.
3. I used to have three clownfish. A close pair and an oddball that stayed at the other end of the tank because the dominant would chase the oddball away every time it got close. One day the submissive disappeared and the dominant no longer chased away the oddball and in fact seems to try and get it to become the male (which it might be). The previous pairing the male and female were attached at the hip. The new pair dont seem like a pair. They are rarely next to each other. No fighting..just do their own thing. I thought these fish were biologically programmed to pair up if there were only two in the eco system. Thoughts?
4. Any thoughts on a nice water column / reef safe fish? All of my current fish are rock dwellers and dont do a lot of free swimming. I have a coral beauty which is doing well..but would like something else for my 80 gallon that stays in sight.
5. I have a spot right in front of my return nozzle that I have no clue what to put there (roughly 4-14 inches in front is completely void of everything). I dont want to repoint the nozzle because I have a number of corals and an anemone that have told me that they dont want that much flow. Any suggestions on what I can put in front of the nozzle that is going to be accepting of the return rate? It's not a water cannon and I do have the Vivid random flow generator on but it is still right in the line of fire.
6. I seem to have a film on top of my tank. I had to but a small surface skimmer that I have to run every couple of days. Any better ideas than this? This is not only unsightly and clunky but it is still painful to break out every couple of days.

Anyways...thank you in advance and happy thanksgiving!!!

Last edited:

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have had a number of questions that I felt like asking over the last few months but havent. Now that I have a pretty good backlog, I figured I would ask them in one bigger thread.

1. I am about to start running an RO-DI system from my utility sink. This sink has a reoccuring issue that causes the water to smell like hyrdogen sulfide (rotten egg smelling water). Has anyone had experience with this going through an RO/DI system and have there been any negative effects on the aquarium? (I am looking for actual experience and not hypothetical because I would say the same thing that 'it cant be good for the tank').
2. After figuring out my water chemistry issues, I am not seeing much algae (none in fact other than a small patch of ulva on my snails and a small patch of bubble algae) on my rocks and glassworks. I have a collector urchin that used to mow down my algae issues. Do I have to worry about it starving to death? I keep trying to drop it on a piece of nori..but no luck.
3. I used to have three clownfish. A close pair and an oddball that stayed at the other end of the tank because the dominant would chase the oddball away every time it got close. One day the submissive disappeared and the dominant no longer chased away the oddball and in fact seems to try and get it to become the male (which it might be). The previous pairing the male and female were attached at the hip. The new pair dont seem like a pair. They are rarely next to each other. No fighting..just do their own thing. I thought these fish were biologically programmed to pair up if there were only two in the eco system. Thoughts?
4. Any thoughts on a nice water column / reef safe fish? All of my current fish are rock dwellers and dont do a lot of free swimming. I have a coral beauty which is doing well..but would like something else for my 80 gallon that stays in sight.
5. I have a spot right in front of my return nozzle that I have no clue what to put there (roughly 4-14 inches in front is completely void of everything). I dont want to repoint the nozzle because I have a number of corals and an anemone that have told me that they dont want that much flow. Any suggestions on what I can put in front of the nozzle that is going to be accepting of the return rate? It's not a water cannon and I do have the Vivid random flow generator on but it is still right in the line of fire.

Anyways...thank you in advance and happy thanksgiving!!!
I just took a peek at your tank on your build thread!
It's coming along really nicely!
As for the void in front of your return nozzle (on the left side?) I wouldn't really do much right now.
It looks like you have some smaller frags on the rockwork already?? Give them time and room to grow in :)

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of the Copperbands! This guy is always out front and took care of an aiptasia problem! Also a great time to add one and get established since you don’t have many other fish. Make sure you see him eat at your LFS before buying!

D94F815D-298A-4D7D-A4A5-748A7BF7EE19.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back