Random Questions

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Im going to be getting my first tank soon and have a few generic questions, if anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it!

1. I had someone 3d print some decorations using a pet safe PETG material, and I also found a safe non-toxic water based acrylic paint. After I sand, paint and let the decorations try for a full week, should I seal these decorations and if so does anyone recommend a reef safe sealer?

2. My tank is going to be fish only, I don't plan on any corals for the foreseeable future, but I am open to "live plants". Is there anything I need to know about live/macroalgae plants or can I just throw a few of them in the tank (im using agra-alive figi pink sand) and hope my fish don't eat them?

3. I was planning on going with dry rock to start out my tank, do I have to use the generic reef rocks that everyone uses or can I use another type of rock? Any rock suggestions that are saltwater safe would be really helpful!

4. Lastly, since I am going with dry-rock, I did purchase some bio-bricks. Do they just go anywhere into the filtration area?

Thanks!

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the hobby!

1. I wouldn't feel safe making any suggestions on this, regardless of material due to the corrosion saltwater puts items through, just not worth the risk introducing artificial anything imo, but to each their own.

2. This would completely depend on what type of fish you keep. Any herbivores will likely pick at and eat them. I'd get a fish stocking list together.

3. The more porous the rock, the better off you are. There are plenty of companies that make dry rock, but you will benefit the most from keeping established live rock. Dry rock is completely fine, you will just have to take your time and bear the ugly stages. It's part of the fun though, nothing happens fast in this hobby that ends well.

4. Bio bricks are highly debated on effectiveness, but yes, anywhere will do.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back