OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ How are you going to measure usefulness, and what determines whether it is useful?

Careful observation of the aquarium creatures for any apparent "benefits" after starting to dose compared to previously not dosing.

If I cannot detect a benefit, I can't see a reason to keep adding it unless there is some scientific evidence that it is useful for something I wouldn't see (which isn't, at the moment, the case for these two). :)

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took down my take a while ago after it was up for 20 years.

I used some of these things (limewater only, via ATO), iron and silicate dosing, 1% daily water changes with normal IO, but the biggest change would be testing and dosing of more minor and especially, trace elements.
I think anyone who successfully kept a tank up for 20 years shouldn't be hard pressed to change much of anything.

my .02

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a calcium reactor Dr.? And a ReefBot for automated colorimetric and titration testing

I’ve never saw any positive effects wile dosing KZ iodide and iodine. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

fishfong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
show us a photo of your reef tank past and present. That will help us gauge your knowledge.

gurumasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a calcium reactor Dr.? And a ReefBot for automated colorimetric and titration testing

I’ve never saw any positive effects wile dosing KZ iodide and iodine. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

I am also wondering why no calcium reactor?

Why not reactor in place of two part and still dose limewater to buff?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
show us a photo of your reef tank past and present. That will help us gauge your knowledge.
Well,
It's pretty much like this

download.jpg

:)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this is a big experiment and not a hobby-fun tank... or probably some of both.

It is likely possible that if he did not want to monitor, observe and tinker then things on the list would be different. He does not need ICP to tell him how to have a successful reef - he needs it to know what to tinker with next.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on why not a CaRx?

Not a big reason, but it lowers pH, dosing gives more adjustable control over the time of dosing, and might be easier to control what besides calcium and alkalinity is actually dosed. [emoji3]

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of reef would this be sps or mix ?

My favorite thing I’ve had and see others have is a big colorful (blue) S. gigantea anemone with a group of ocellaris clowns. That would be the centerpiece.

I like lots of different creatures (corals, sponges, macroalgae) and am not obsessed with SPS (although I’d probably have some). I like yellow leathers too. [emoji23]

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite thing I’ve had and see others have is a big colorful (blue) S. gigantea anemone with a group of ocellaris clowns. That would be the centerpiece.

I like lots of different creatures (corals, sponges, macroalgae) and am not obsessed with SPS (although I’d probably have some). I like yellow leathers too. [emoji23]

Randy,
If you do setup another reef, I figure that you have some unfinished business on the scientific sides of reefing.

With that being said:
Do you miss having your own reef for the beauty and and being a hobbyist too?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does not need ICP to tell him how to have a successful reef - he needs it to know what to tinker with next.

That right.

I got one ICP test on my tank, and this was the sort of info that I got in what might be useful to investigate next:

http://www.reefedition.com/my-triton-testing-results-by-randy-holmes-farley/

Molybdenum (Mo). Molybdenum is low, and if that is true, it’s an interesting and potentially important result. I don’t typically add any trace elements. I may consider adding some molybdenum as it is biologically important.

Manganese (Mn). Triton can just barely detect the natural level of manganese (0.17 µg/L) since their LOD is 0.12 µg/L. Detecting none suggests it may be depleted, and is another possibility for dosing, but I have less confidence that this one is really seriously depleted since it is so close to the LOD. But Mn is biologically important and I will consider it.

Vanadium (V). Triton can just barely detect the natural level of vanadium (1.8 µg/L) since their LOD is 0.9 µg/L. Still, detecting none suggests it may be depleted, and is another possibility for dosing.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%

Back