Randy's Dream Methodology

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently dosed 1ppm of WaterGlass for silicate’s just to see what effect it would have on my Dino’s as they have shrugged off everything I’ve tried. The goal was to target 2ppm over two week’s, but when I hit 1ppm the tank was getting a bit dirty. Not bad, but you could see it was fixing to get out of hand a little. Initially, I saw some really positive effect’s maybe somewhere around 0.5ppm. I definitely think it’s beneficial at lower levels and I can see why you would dose it.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream system would use natural sunlight with filters to simulate lighting at 20-30ft in depth, would continuously pump water from the ocean and have it warmed to proper temp before adding to the display on one end. It would of course drain back to the ocean from the opposite end.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream system would use natural sunlight with filters to simulate lighting at 20-30ft in depth, would continuously pump water from the ocean and have it warmed to proper temp before adding to the display on one end. It would of course drain back to the ocean from the opposite end.
That sounds awesome

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House boat with a skylight and plumbing drilled out the side? Haha this would be really cool

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Riggin’ now that’s what I wanna do!!

or maybe it’s rig reefin’ hmmm….

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a long answer, but cliffs notes, why the above parameters? I have read that elevated pH and dKH can lead to elevated growth rates, but interested to hear your "why".

The question being asked to which I gave those parameters was an acropora frag grow out tank, and high growth rate was the driving factor in picking those values. :)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question being asked to which I gave those parameters was an acropora frag grow out tank, and high growth rate was the driving factor in picking those values. :)
What if time wasn't a factor, nor growth speed, do those values change or make a difference then?

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What husbandry would I do in a dream tank? and if Mindstream or Seneye comes on line with reliable data, I'd monitor ammonia 24/7 and in different system locations (main tank, exit from refugium, etc.) for interests sake.
Randy, curious why the testing ammonia 24/7? Hoping to learn something here. I haven’t testing for ammonia in years after once tank is established!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if time wasn't a factor, nor growth speed, do those values change or make a difference then?

If color is more of a goal than growth, I might reduce the alk and nutrients.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, curious why the testing ammonia 24/7? Hoping to learn something here. I haven’t testing for ammonia in years after once tank is established!

Because I want to understand it, not because I am concerned it is too high. I might even want to consider dosing it, as some do.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you use ozone in your dream methodology? Why?

I see I didn't mention it. I'd probably use it at low levels on an irregular basis to reduce yellowing of the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back