Randy's Dream Methodology

Why ozone over activated carbon? Is long-term use cost being the solely reason?

Why would you use it on irregular basis?

I would use GAC, and by irregular I mean it isn't needed 24/7. To keep the water clear apparently only takes a small amount of ozone and need not be run constantly, IMO.
 
Alk around 10 dKH, pH around 8.4, nitrate 10 -15ppm, phosphate 0.05-0.1 ppm.
Hey Randy,

Can I ask why 0.1ppm phosphates is your limit? I see nitrates are 5ppm higher than your typical recommendation in a reef tank.
 
Last edited:
Hey Randy,

Can I ask why 0.1ppm phosphates is your limit? I see nitrates are 5ppm higher than your typical recommendation in a reef tank.

I don’t think phosphate at 0.1 ppm is likely to be limiting in terms of coral growth. Nitrate might be limiting at 5 ppm, so I thought a higher level could be useful.
 
If color is more of a goal than growth, I might reduce the alk and nutrients.

Hey, a few months back, I asked you what parameters you’d keep for an acropora frag tank with growth being the priority. You said this:

Alk around 10 dKH, pH around 8.4, nitrate 10 -15ppm, phosphate 0.05-0.1 ppm.

I never asked this, but I’m genuinely curious. If color was a goal, I'm wondering what your alkalinity and nutrients might look like. Thanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new