Randy's Tank Description

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank Randy. Loved the cowfish.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I'm thinking of following your lead and setting up multiple brutes as sumps. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Are you using standard bulkheads or uniseals on the brutes?

2. What size pipe are you using? I would imagine that in case of a power outage, there could be a large surge of water to the first sump.

Thanks, Jerry

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use regular bulkheads. The plastic can is reasonably flexible so that you can get a good flat seal as long as you are not real close to the top or bottom.

The diameter of the pipe I use is way oversized to prevent clogging. 3" PVC, I think.

In a power failure, lots of water makes its way down to the sump from the tank and 3 refugia that are upstream from it, so one must allow for that level to rise without overflowing. It isn't a surge in the sense of fast water entry, but it keeps coming in for a while even though none is going out.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, did you ever take any more pics of your tank recently? Has anything changed?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I've not taken any photos recently.

Some of the tank creatures are doing great, such as my favorite, the large blue S. gigantea which has a trio of spawning ocellaris clowns and an anemone crab sharing it.

But I lost some fish last time I was away, and I'm thinking of taking it down. It's also become overrun with vermitid snails, and without the fish I lost, it will likely soon be overrun with aiptasia and caulerpa (since the rabbit fish and the copperband butterfly were keeping them under control but are now gone).

It's an agonizing process to decide what to do, but I think the time has come... :(

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! I'm so sorry to hear Randy! Have you considered restarting it? I had to not a month or two ago because of my losing battle with colonial hydroids. Though difficult, I dare say I fell in love harder with my reef than before. :)

Mo-sachi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH NO!! I've been a student of your articles for quite some time. You have traveled this road for a long time. You would do a great disservice to the reef community as a whole by alleviating yourself from the hobby. Sure hope you would reconsider. But ultimately the decision is yours. I can only thank you for your tutelage and patience. :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everythings got a predator. A quick search came up with these:

- six line wrass
- puffer fish
- bumble bee snails

Dont quit Randy! Try a new project big or small, or rebuild something better! Dont give up!

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, how about keeping it as learning experience or lab equipment.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, you need a "Reef buddy" to help watch your tank while you gone! Seems like o am constantly hearing about tank disasters while people are away. If I was a bit closer I would volunteer [emoji6]

Mo-sachi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks.

FWIW, taking down the tank won't impact my participation in the hobby, such as here. I like it too much. :)

I am certainly glad to read this. Maybe at a future date you will miss it enough to start a fresh one and apply all the knowledge you've most certainly learned and taught to a new build. Thank you again. Happy reefing.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%

Back