Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm taking it down. :)

I've sold the blue gigantea to a friend (who will also take the 3 clowns and anemone crab along with it), and plan to give the rest of the creatures and rock to the Boston Reefers for their upcoming auction. :)

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to why you never went sps? Guess you could say I'm starting to get a grasp on things and this is 1 of those things I've debated.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry, ive quit and got another tank in 10 years like 6 times.

We always come back

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumpbled onto this. It's always a tough decision to make taking a long running tank down, but I think you'll get back into it again in the future :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is surprisingly sad. :(

My friend comes later today to get the anemone, clown trio and anemone crab (assuming I can actually get them out).
Next weekend I'll take everything else to the club auction, and then later (if someone bids on the rock, all the rock will go (2 x 44 gallon brute cans full from my refugia, plus what is in the display).

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to why you never went sps? Guess you could say I'm starting to get a grasp on things and this is 1 of those things I've debated.

I did keep a few types, but never liked them much because they do not move or change much. They might as well be artificial. :D

FWIW, this pic shows on of the larger SPS I kept:

Figure4.JPG

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did keep a few types, but never liked them much because they do not move or change much. They might as well be artificial. :D

FWIW, this pic shows on of the larger SPS I kept:

Figure4.JPG
I'm thinking of going this route as well. I like the color SPS bring but enjoy the movement of everything else.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the tank Randy?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the tank Randy?

I first set it up in August 1995, so a bit over 20 years. At one point it expanded from a 90 gallon display to a 120 gallon display, and I got a bunch of new live rock then too, but basically the same system over time. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the anemone out yesterday. Took longer than I thought (~40 minutes) since the rocks it was attached to had become attached to one another and could not be easily removed. Even a screwdriver could not break them apart. Finally my friend carefully pried the anemone off the rock. We were also able to catch the clown trio, but after all that there was no sign of the anemone crab. It probably ran for cover deeper in the rocks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Randy why are you taking the tank down?

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, that crab is smart. He does not want to leave the Randy's house. He does not want to change his living condition.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The combination of the fish loss last fall when I was away, coupled with some slowly creeping problems made it my best choice.

1. The foxface that died was keeping the caualerpa in check. It is out of control again.
2. The Chelmon marginalis that died was keeping aiptasia in check. Not a problem yet, but likely only a matter of time.
3. Vermitid snails have taken over. Thousands of them everywhere. Makes the nice coralline covered rock and glass turn brown with accumulated stuff on them.
4. The electricity cost is hard to justify for the way the tank currently looked.

So the choice was to invest big and fix the problems, or take it down. For various other reasons, I decided taking it down with the option to maybe restart sometime in the future was the best option. :)

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad, i'm sure it was not easy decision to take 20 year old tank down. You are brave man Randy! And it is normal that you will need a break before starting new project, but I 'm sure this time will come soon. Looking forward to see your new, modern, energy efficient tank.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do. :)

I'm sure that it was a difficult decision and one that wasn't taken lightly. Between contributing to the forums and managing your tank, I suspect that a very large portion of your free time has been eaten up over the years. I'm sure that She Who Must Be Obeyed will appreciate the extra free time for you to work on the Honey Do list.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, folks. ;)

Well, I took most remaining creatures to the Boston Reefers fund raising auction this morning. It took me several hours to get it out because some rocks were so stuck together that I had to whack at them hard with a hammer to get them out!

Happy Reefing!

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, folks. ;)

Well, I took most remaining creatures to the Boston Reefers fund raising auction this morning. It took me several hours to get it out because some rocks were so stuck together that I had to whack at them hard with a hammer to get them out!

Happy Reefing!

Wow! Cemented rocks! Was it corraline?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back