OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several of the brutes were filled 2/3 or more full of largish rocks, so a powerhead at the bottom would probably stop working and I wouldn't know it. But it is a legit concern, and I cannot remember exactly how I dealt with it, but one way was to deliver the water near the bottom and remove it at the top.

Even if the water entered through a bulkhead near the top, the water was channeled down to near the bottom with PVC internal to these rock filled ones.

The two sumps has a lot of flow and no rocks, so there was no concern with them.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't thought about running a pipe to near the bottom of the barrel, that's a good idea.

I am also planning on have one or two barrels filled with rock as I have at least one box full of rock that was at one time in my tank but is now dried and stored. I thought I'd resurrect it and add some additional live rock from a supplier.

It seems that I'm just going to have to plan as best I can then adapt as needed. I notice the brute cans are much more expensive than they were a few years ago so I want to get it organized so all I need to do is tweak rather than scrap and start over.

Thanks again for taking the time.
Mickey

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have made it here. Thank you for all the help you have given me in the past. Lovely tanks!! Hope to see some more update photos.

Thanks. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I noticed you've been responding in the present tense regarding what dosing etc. you do. Have you restarted your system?

No, I haven't. I sometimes answer in the present tense for things I was doing when last the tank was up and which i would still do to not make people think I "was" doing something, but then switched to something else.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your top favorite corals that you would or wish you could keep in a theoretical tank of yours? Price and difficulty of care doesn’t really matter; just what makes you happy.

A top 3 list would be interesting to see. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My top favorite thing is not a coral, but a large giantea anemone, perhaps blue, with a group of ocellaris clowns living in it. Way more interesting than any coral, and just as colorful.

I also like bright yellow leather corals. Not as interesting as the anemone with clowns, but the yellow color is really appealing.

I like elegance corals, but never had one thrive indefinitely.

In general, I like things that move, so many sps that might as well be artificial don’t make the cut. lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back