Rant: State of the Hobby

ReefGeezer

View Badges
Reaction score
I DIY'd a fuge last weekend and then went about finding some Cheato. I hit up my local Facebook Group and got two quick responses. To my surprise, Cheato is now a commodity, at least in my local area... and by the prices they wanted a rare commodity. I used to give the stuff away or throw it down the drain! This hobby has gone insane!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Mical

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
LOL (laughing with you not at you) Yea, every so often something in this hobby gets absurd - say like torch prices.

On another note I'ld avoid the Facebook sources (which is a whole nother thread)

When I get in one of those irritated moods, I refer to this and it brightens my day.

motivator8c003cb418df92998750c1e148031843a77caf16.jpg

Saltyreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Its unfortunate that times are tough for a lot of people.
Ive been to the point where i see dollar signs on everything i have.....

Im sure if you search hard enough, youll find locals offering it for free.
I used to....it was going in the garbage other wise.

I do feel your pain!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
The people that would give you some for free like me don't go to the places where people sell it because we think those people are silly.
These days there are a lot of people that don't know or care what something should cost. They just want it and will pay.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
LOL (laughing with you not at you) Yea, every so often something in this hobby gets absurd - say like torch prices.

On another note I'ld avoid the Facebook sources (which is a whole nother thread)

When I get in one of those irritated moods, I refer to this and it brightens my day.

motivator8c003cb418df92998750c1e148031843a77caf16.jpg
Rare Indo pacific anemone. Evil! :p

andrewkw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This is just a local thing. Honestly I would typically sell it for $5 for as much as you wanted when I used to use cheato. Why? Because a lot of people never showed up, or came at inconvenient times, or asked me to drop it off ect. If it was someone I knew or we were trading frags sure free is fine but there is some headache involved sometimes.

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
When I first started, a guy in my local club gave me a gallon freezer bag bursting with it for free.
I have come up empty asking at other times though.

Duffybubbleboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeh, I think it starts with algae barn and brs pushing them, “oh my cheato is clean” yeh well it’s still sea weed and not worth $40 bucks..

Algae barn is being kinda ridiculous claiming they are the only ones with clean Algae... BRS was just trying to help sell more algae. Brs saying it’s a mistake to get algae even from the local hobby store was nothing but a blantent way to get people to buy from their “friends”. Now more and more people are like well well my algae is “clean”....

I don’t like how some people just say things to sell things , like we all couldn’t survive with out algae barn. I don’t buy from them for this reason. I even steer away from brs for these obvious bandwagon style of pushing product that excludes smaller shops...

You don’t need to buy from algae barn,,, that’s why it’s expensive. To assume all of their Algae is completely “clean” and everyone’s algae is dirty was a lame trick... stop doing that none-sense brs. It’s lame... I see so many people just repeat what ever brs says regardless, it’s annoying..

Buying a bunch of semi dead algae from the algae barn is why all these people think theirs is worth money.

Stop pushing the online retailers as the only legitimate source of algae and the prices will go down.

Last edited:

Crimsonphoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
I DIY'd a fuge last weekend and then went about finding some Cheato. I hit up my local Facebook Group and got two quick responses. To my surprise, Cheato is now a commodity, at least in my local area... and by the prices they wanted a rare commodity. I used to give the stuff away or throw it down the drain! This hobby has gone insane!
My lfs charges $20 for a fist or small baggie size and $10 for half here in central Florida.

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
How about dudes with 3 month old tanks selling designer zoa at crazy prices. And ea, they grew it from single polyp

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t sell it and I don’t offer it for free. I’d rather just toss it out. But if someone puts out an “ISO chaeto” or they’re stopping by to buy frags, they’re welcome to pick up a shopping bag full of it. I throw a couple bags away every month so I cringe a bit when I see people selling it.
There are even corals I won’t sell anymore (e.g. Hollywood Stunner) because it just feels like I’m ripping people off when I do.

Hair Algae in your aquarium. Choose all that apply!

• I've never had hair algae

Votes: 43 8.0%
  • I Have had a little but nothing major

Votes: 134 25.0%
  • I Have had several tough outbreaks

Votes: 65 12.1%
  • I Have had a major outbreak that I won

Votes: 164 30.6%
  • Have had a major outbreak that caused me to tear the tank down

Votes: 22 4.1%
  • I am battling a little hair algae now

Votes: 138 25.7%
  • I am battling a major outbreak right now

Votes: 55 10.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
The IceCap Gyre is back and better than ever!