Rapid LEDs

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I posted a while ago about my T5 fixture and how I'm just not satisfied with it. The switch from years of LEDs has me wanting to switch back.

i have three rapid led fixtures I put together a few years ago. I'm considering putting them back over my tank. I liked them a lot and when I downsized they went into a box in storage.

I have dimmable drivers overs so I will be able to play with my color a bit but I do have some questions.

i bought these lights back in 2011-2012. I can't seem to find any recent reviews on these fixtures. It was a DIY kit. Are they still good lights? Or have people had bad things to say about the lights as time passed?

i have three heat sinks, each 30" long. If I took the optic lenses off would one 20" fixture cover a 40 breeder? (36"long tank)

Do you have any suggestions on how I could maybe retro fit my rapid LEDs into my ATI sunpower 4x24? If I can find a heatsink and get a recommended led combo/ how many LEDs I should put in, I can make it happen

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go easy on reds, greens, etc....vanity colors. Set the blues and whites to a combo you like....something 20,000K'ish. You're pretty much set. Use a light meter to set the intensity – no less than a lux meter like my $12 "LX-1010B"....don't use nothing! :)

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybrid!!! Do it. I started my 20 long softie/lps tank w 4x t5. Played w multiple 4 bulb combos.
Now, It’s just 2x t5. 1 Blue plus, 1 Giesemann true actinic. Blue led and 430 violet from rapid. Very blue/purple I know. Ultimately my tank is small, short, & lights right on top of tank. My Coral all seem happier removing the “white”

Looks wise-absolutely Love it! Best of both. Led Pop and that t5 blanket of even light.

The rapid led definitely discos / crazy (too much imo) shimmer. W t5 on you don’t see it as much at all. I might add diffuser material to led (don’t care if I lose shimmer personally) so I can run it before & after t5 without the crazy discoing

OP
OP
Fred Phipps

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybrid!!! Do it. I started my 20 long softie/lps tank w 4x t5. Played w multiple 4 bulb combos.
Now, It’s just 2x t5. 1 Blue plus, 1 Giesemann true actinic. Blue led and 430 violet from rapid. Very blue/purple I know. Ultimately my tank is small, short, & lights right on top of tank. My Coral all seem happier removing the “white”

Looks wise-absolutely Love it! Best of both. Led Pop and that t5 blanket of even light.

The rapid led definitely discos / crazy (too much imo) shimmer. W t5 on you don’t see it as much at all. I might add diffuser material to led (don’t care if I lose shimmer personally) so I can run it before & after t5 without the crazy discoing

Thanks for the reply! Do you have a picture of it? How many LEDs did you use total? If I do it I will run a blue plus and a coral plus for the T5

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only running 5 blues, 2 violets on a 700 dimable Nano driver, mounted on aluminum flat bar from Home Depot.
It’s on the backside of the 2 bulb t5.

My tank is a 20 long, so very easy to over-light actually! Plus I’m doing all softies and lps. So nothing too demanding and it works out because I’m enjoying the less bright tank in my living room.

Just tried taking pic w phone. Nothing close to what it really looks like.

How high off the water is your t5?

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only running 5 Cree blues, 2 semi 430 violets on a 700 dimable Nano driver, mounted on aluminum flat bar from Home Depot.

My tank is a 20 long, so very easy to over-light actually! Plus I’m doing all softies and lps. So nothing too demanding and it works because I’m enjoying the less bright tank in my living room

I tried taking a pic w phone. Nothing like it looks in person.

How high is your t5 from tank?

OP
OP
Fred Phipps

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2990.JPG
I’m only running 5 Cree blues, 2 semi 430 violets on a 700 dimable Nano driver, mounted on aluminum flat bar from Home Depot.

My tank is a 20 long, so very easy to over-light actually! Plus I’m doing all softies and lps. So nothing too demanding and it works because I’m enjoying the less bright tank in my living room

I tried taking a pic w phone. Nothing like it looks in person.

How high is your t5 from tank?

Ok cool! I'll start planning! I miss the pop from my LEDs but I like the growth from the T5.
My tank is a 40breeder and is softies and LPS with a couple montipora. Can you share a photo of just your light so I can get an idea of how you set it up as far as placement of the LEDs?

My light is about 13-14 inches off the water. I was having some issues with my toadstool not opening for a couple months so I raised it recently and it seems to be a bit happier. Thank you for your great info and advice! It inspires me!

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60D4649D-FDAA-456A-BB5E-5C9799560D1D.jpeg 0B1DE36B-B041-4342-8D07-0BBD9EB585FA.jpeg FB6BF242-AE5E-4067-B7B5-BE717A975DBC.jpeg C1A30B58-424A-49AF-80A2-62489421682B.jpeg

So here is the flat bar attached w L brackets on each side. LED ‘s are mounted w the rapid led berquist stick pads. The fixture is an older aquatic life t5. It was their linkable fixture. So it was (2) 2 bulb fixtures that were linked as one. Liked it, but it literally covered front to back side to side. Overkill really and looked quite bulky. I had a 1.5” row heat sink from rapid but it was bulky for my application.
This also allows maintenance w out taking entire light off
The led is still a work in progress. I have some black acrylic and splash guard I’ll b attaching shortly
For your tank you’ll prob want to go more led w actual heat sink and such. On such a nice light it might b worth going reefbrite path if you can since it’s plug and play.
What bulbs you running? W adding led you might want to drop the par on the t5 w dimmer bulbs

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back